[SOLVED] Games Lag/Stutter when Vsync is turned OFF.

Dec 13, 2020
Hi there! So I've been having this problem for quite a while now and I can't seem to be able to get around it. Everytime I launch a game, it simply stutters if the vertical syncronisation is turned OFF. Yes, when it is OFF. If I turn the vsync back on, everything seems to be working fine. I've tried tweaking the settings little by little but without any result. I was so desperate I've even flushed a new bios intro the GPU and also did a clean driver install. Also, every video file that I was playing in full screen was lagging as well but the reflushed bios got rid of that issue. All my pc parts are brand new, exept for some ram sticks that I've pulled out from my pld PC. Here's what I'm running:
AMD Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8GB
Intel I5 4570 at 3.2 GHZ
14 GB RAM( first I had 8 and I thought more RAM will help, it did not)
I also have a 500W PSU FrOm AYRUS with 80+ something, whatever that means.
I've also made a video showcasing the problem in 2 games but the problem is present in any game. Rainbow 6 siege, where I managed to do a side by side with vsync on/off, and For Honor where, for some reason, the benchmark deactivates the vsync so you'll have only the off version. Any help is welcomed. Cheers!
Here's the link to the video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhtaRrPh2AE

Anthony

Solution
Other than the BIOS flush, I haven't done anything significant to the pc. And yes, there was a time when All the games ran smoothly, no issue whatsoever. Also, my monitor doesn't have free-sync support and I have the same issue if I plug in my TV, so that's out of the equation. As for the gpu settings, I've gone and changed everything starting from the fan speed and all the way to the Relive feature settings, nothing has worked. Regarding the side by side footage, the recording seems to have got it wrong, cause the actual gameplay had no microstuttering at all.

Hmm. For the moment I would head to the BIOS and remove any overclocks and check all the settings thoroughly. It might also be worth testing your memory modules. And...

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
Have you made any major adjustments to the system of late ? And was there a time when this system played the games without issue ?

I'd start with shutting down all non-critical background programs. Also you could try turning off Free-sync for your monitor and run your monitor at it's native refresh rate and resolution. There may also be some settings in your graphics profile that need configuring/correcting.

Perhaps it's my vision playing tricks on me but it appears that the V-synced benchmark has the same stuttering/chunking though to a lesser extent. Gives me the feeling there is something wrong with your refresh rate settings or something related to Free-sync or similar monitor technology.

The reason why it toggles off V-sync is because it's a benchmark. It's intended to evaluate maximum performance. With V-sync on the FPS is locked at your monitors refresh rate. ie- 60hz will cap the fps at 60fps.

Dec 13, 2020
Have you made any major adjustments to the system of late ? And was there a time when this system played the games without issue ?

I'd start with shutting down all non-critical background programs. Also you could try turning off Free-sync for your monitor and run your monitor at it's native refresh rate and resolution. There may also be some settings in your graphics profile that need configuring/correcting.

Perhaps it's my vision playing tricks on me but it appears that the V-synced benchmark has the same stuttering/chunking though to a lesser extent. Gives me the feeling there is something wrong with your refresh rate settings or something related to Free-sync or similar monitor technology.

The reason why it toggles off V-sync is because it's a benchmark. It's intended to evaluate maximum performance. With V-sync on the FPS is locked at your monitors refresh rate. ie- 60hz will cap the fps at 60fps.
Other than the BIOS flush, I haven't done anything significant to the pc. And yes, there was a time when All the games ran smoothly, no issue whatsoever. Also, my monitor doesn't have free-sync support and I have the same issue if I plug in my TV, so that's out of the equation. As for the gpu settings, I've gone and changed everything starting from the fan speed and all the way to the Relive feature settings, nothing has worked. Regarding the side by side footage, the recording seems to have got it wrong, cause the actual gameplay had no microstuttering at all.

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012

Hmm. For the moment I would head to the BIOS and remove any overclocks and check all the settings thoroughly. It might also be worth testing your memory modules. And leave them at their default speeds (no XMP)

Swapping out the card would obviously be the easiest way to eliminate the card being at fault. Though I'm guessing this is a luxury you don't possess atm.

If you have physically tampered with anything inside the case, look to see everything is seated right and all power cables are connected. I'm assuming you've already done a clean graphics driver install and BIOS/driver update. Sadly I've not much else to recommend beyond that.

I know from experience that memory can cause freezing, but nothing that quite resembles what I see in that video. Still might be worth checking your ram or at least run them at their base speed (no rated speed) to help diagnose the problem.

Solution