[SOLVED] Games lag/stuttering with 9900k/16gb ram and rtx 2080 if pagefile is less ....

masti.faltoo

Commendable
Jan 30, 2019
My rig:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zJBpP3
In short
9900k/16gb gskill/gigabyte z390 aorus master/970 evo nvme 500gb+1tb shdd/Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080

My OS Win 10 x64 enterprise is installed on 970 evo nvme and games installed on 1TB SHDD ....
Some of my Games lag/stutter if pagefile is set like 3000MB (it shows Recommended 2935MB) .... but if i select "Automatically manage paging file for all drives" it allocates 16384MB and no game lags or stuttering then....

I felt too much lags and even crash in GTA V (max setting).... less lag in assassin creed .....

Is it advisable to set pagefile to Automatic or there is some problem in my OS or there is smthng i hv to tweak?

Solution
But Its been said many times tht if we hv like 16g+ ram and ssd then we can put max 1-2gb pagefile on other hdd (as putting pagefile on ssd reduces life of ssd).... but anyway i hv now made it allot it automatically (dont knw how much it will use on my ssd and my hdds) but the games are working just fine ...

There is no reason to do that. SSD wear is a non issue. That SSD will be obsolete before you could ever wear it out. Meanwhile if you force your pagefile to your HDD you're actually slowing your system down. Leave it on the SSD and leave it alone, for best performance.

masti.faltoo

Commendable
Jan 30, 2019
wondering , the same GTA 5 was running fine on my old pc with i7 3770k with 16gb ddr3 with just 2gb virtual mem .... now it crashes on my new rig with 9900k/16gb ram with 2gb ram...

masti.faltoo

Commendable
Jan 30, 2019
Just leave the pagefile on automatic. Its not like you are starving for space. And it doesn't hurt anything.

I again tried to run GTA V after setting pagefile to 2GB on ssd and on other hdd set min to 1000 and max 10000mb .... it crashed with following event in event viewer
"Application pop-up: dwm.exe - System Error : The process has terminated because it could not allocate additional memory. "

Now I am setting it "Automatic" again... but I am quite sure smthng is wrong with my config or some software conflicting..

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I again tried to run GTA V after setting pagefile to 2GB on ssd and on other hdd set min to 1000 and max 10000mb .... it crashed with following event in event viewer
"Application pop-up: dwm.exe - System Error : The process has terminated because it could not allocate additional memory. "

Now I am setting it "Automatic" again... but I am quite sure smthng is wrong with my config or some software conflicting..

No your config is not wrong. Windows needs the pagefile for proper operation. And clearly if you're dropping it very low and getting errors, its the culprit.

Reactions: masti.faltoo

masti.faltoo

Commendable
Jan 30, 2019
No your config is not wrong. Windows needs the pagefile for proper operation. And clearly if you're dropping it very low and getting errors, its the culprit.

But Its been said many times tht if we hv like 16g+ ram and ssd then we can put max 1-2gb pagefile on other hdd (as putting pagefile on ssd reduces life of ssd).... but anyway i hv now made it allot it automatically (dont knw how much it will use on my ssd and my hdds) but the games are working just fine ...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

There is no reason to do that. SSD wear is a non issue. That SSD will be obsolete before you could ever wear it out. Meanwhile if you force your pagefile to your HDD you're actually slowing your system down. Leave it on the SSD and leave it alone, for best performance.

Reactions: masti.faltoo
Solution