[SOLVED] Games lag when tabbed in but not out

Jan 2, 2021
I recently discovered after not using my laptop for 2 weeks that pretty much all my games have started to lag to the point of them being unplayable. While trying different things I noticed that when I tabbed out of the game to my task manager the game ran fine in the background (see image 2) with the about 60 fps I'm used to. But when I then tab back in (see image 1) the game went back top 5 fps.

I had the game in Fullscreen mode when this happened, I have not tried this with any other game but I imagine it's the same. If you have any tips on how to solve this then that would be much appreciated.
My laptop:
1050ti
16GB Ram
i5 7300HQ

EDIT 1: I have updated all my driver and is using the latest windows update.
Image_1_TH.png
Image_2_TH.png

Last edited:
Solution
By latest Windows, are you on version 20H2? See if your laptop has any BIOS updates pending. If so, gradually work your way to the latest, while keeping note of the chipset and MEI drivers that might need updating in between BIOS updates.

You might want to try using DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and reinstall the drivers with the latest off of Nvidia's support site, manually installing it in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Lutfij

Titan
By latest Windows, are you on version 20H2? See if your laptop has any BIOS updates pending. If so, gradually work your way to the latest, while keeping note of the chipset and MEI drivers that might need updating in between BIOS updates.

You might want to try using DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and reinstall the drivers with the latest off of Nvidia's support site, manually installing it in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Solution