ShwaBdudle

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
So pretty much every single game that I play lags or has lag spikes from time to time. But fps doesn't reach 0, if fps is at 144 it will go down to 120-140 something like that. Far Cry 5: whenever I pick up items the game lags from 90 fps to 80-90. I noticed that the game autosaves when I pick items up and When I enter new locations so that could be the cause. Mordhau: the game lags whenever it feels like it, goes from 90-89-85 something like that. Also when I'm spectating someone and I switch to someone else the fps drops to around 70 for a couple of seconds. Grim Dawn: game lags whenever it feels like it and the fps goes from 144-143-142 something like that. When I enter houses the game stutters to around 100 fps. CS:GO; lags from time to time, from around 300-340 fps to 200-250 fps. Gunfire Reborn: I entered the game and was immediately greeted with a big stutter when I moved my camera and shot my gun. 1080p monitor 144hz and I play on high-ultra settings on all Games. Specs: RTX 2060, I7-10700K, 32GB ram, 1080p 144hz, games are installed on 1TB HDD but windows is installed on 120GB SSD. I have XMP enabled via bios and I turned on auto-tuning in GeForce experience. Temps (CPU-Z): GPU doesn't reach more than 70 degrees but GPU "hotspot" (unconfirmed temperature of the hottest part in the GPU) reaches 90+. CPU reaches 85 degrees when playing a really heavy game. But it definitely doesn't reach that when playing Grim Dawn. Is this normal? Do I just need to get used to it? Maybe I need to change something in bios?

So I reinstalled CS:GO on my SSD but that didn't seem to solve the problem. Also in CPU-Z it shows "YES" on thermal for my GPU even though the temperature for the GPU never goes above 70-75. How come it shows yes on thermal then?

Solution
"games are installed on 1TB HDD "

Move to an SSD for your game drive. The HHD is likely causing most of the stutter when your GPU calls for new textures...an SSD is much much faster feeding the GPU. Only using an SSD for Windows isn't helping your games at all. You'll still get the occasional stutter with an SSD but it should smooth out quite a bit with a faster drive feeding game files into the GPU.

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
What is your PSU?

Also it seems your CPU temperature has reached the point of being too hot and risk damage:

So pretty much every single game that I play lags or has lag spikes from time to time. But fps doesn't reach 0, if fps is at 144 it will go down to 120-140 something like that. Far Cry 5: whenever I pick up items the game lags from 90 fps to 80-90. I noticed that the game autosaves when I pick items up and When I enter new locations so that could be the cause. Mordhau: the game lags whenever it feels like it, goes from 90-89-85 something like that. Also when I'm spectating someone and I switch to someone else the fps drops to around 70 for a couple of seconds. Grim Dawn: game lags whenever it feels like it and the fps goes from 144-143-142 something like that. When I enter houses the game stutters to around 100 fps. CS:GO; lags from time to time, from around 300-340 fps to 200-250 fps. Gunfire Reborn: I entered the game and was immediately greeted with a big stutter when I moved my camera and shot my gun. 1080p monitor 144hz and I play on high-ultra settings on all Games. Specs: RTX 2060, I7-10700K, 32GB ram, 1080p 144hz, games are installed on 1TB HDD but windows is installed on 120GB SSD. I have XMP enabled via bios and I turned on auto-tuning in GeForce experience. Temps (CPU-Z): GPU doesn't reach more than 70 degrees but GPU "hotspot" (unconfirmed temperature of the hottest part in the GPU) reaches 90+. CPU reaches 85 degrees when playing a really heavy game. But it definitely doesn't reach that when playing Grim Dawn. Is this normal? Do I just need to get used to it? Maybe I need to change something in bios?

So I reinstalled CS:GO on my SSD but that didn't seem to solve the problem. Also in CPU-Z it shows "YES" on thermal for my GPU even though the temperature for the GPU never goes above 70-75. How come it shows yes on thermal then?
It is normal for the fps in games to fluctuate from the minimum fps to the maximum fps.

ShwaBdudle

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
What is your PSU?

Also it seems your CPU temperature has reached the point of being too hot and risk damage:
The CPU temperature reaches 75 degrees while playing CSGO with uncapped fps on max which is definitely not too hot. Plus as much as I'm aware 100 degrees is too hot and dangerous for the CPU, the temperature of my CPU at it's heaviest gaming experience has reached 90 degrees and thats still not thermal throttling state.
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G5, 80 Plus Gold 650W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode with FDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply 220-G5-0650-X1

ShwaBdudle

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019

Feb 25, 2021
I have exactly same problem, and i switched my RAM, GPU, CPU non of it helped. In msi afterburner i started monitor what my components doing when stutter happend, and when stutter happend gpu usage, clock, cpu usage, all temps runs fine. But my GPU power drop from 60% to 35% during this stutter.

Move to an SSD for your game drive. The HHD is likely causing most of the stutter when your GPU calls for new textures...an SSD is much much faster feeding the GPU. Only using an SSD for Windows isn't helping your games at all. You'll still get the occasional stutter with an SSD but it should smooth out quite a bit with a faster drive feeding game files into the GPU.

Solution
Feb 25, 2021

I have same issue as he have, im running games from Samsung Evo 980 ssd, and games still stutter

alexbirdie

Respectable
GPU doesn't reach more than 70 degrees but GPU "hotspot" (unconfirmed temperature of the hottest part in the GPU) reaches 90+. CPU reaches 85 degrees when playing a really heavy game.
Seems you have severe temperature-problems. Bad airflow in case, too few fans or wrong mounted, eventually bad GPU ( because difference between GPU-temps and the hotspot is very high), eventually GPU too overclocked, etc.

MIght help to get more details about your system, including some pictures of your build.

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
has this always happened since you built it and installed windows, possible causes, could be a virus, had a bitcoin miner virus once it trashed my game play, driver failure, windows corruption