[SOLVED] Why my games look terrible on GTX 1060 3GB ?

Sep 24, 2021
So yesterday i bought an used GTX 1060 3GB to finally upgrade my pc. My last graphic card was Radeon HD 7770 so i expected a big bump in quality but boy was i wrong.

Before i explain the problem here are my specs:

Zotac GTX 1060 3gb
Intel i5-4440 3.2 ghz
Blueberry 560W PSU
Gigabyte-h81m-s2pv

So the problem is: When i installed the gpu i had a VGA only monitor so i had to buy a hdmi to vga adapter. Everything booted up fine BUT GAMES LOOK HORRIBLE, i tried newest drivers as well as some of the olders one. Example: if i go to graphic setting in any game and change te graphics from low to ultra change te resolutons and everything, EVERYTHING STAYS and looks THE SAME. My gpu usage is 98% and runs furmark very well.

Then, i thought okay so the monitor is no good, so i took my brothers monitor which is PHILIPS226VLE, and has a dvi-d port same as my gpu, so i went and bought the cable but they only had the single link one. I know a single one can go in the dual so i went for it but woaha the same exact problem persists, all games run butter smooth but look like bad resolution gta vice city. I dont even know what to do anymore i am on a very tight budget. I looked at all threads on the internet but nothing helped me.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Reactions: alexhales278
Solution
you should start with getting a decent display.
anything still using VGA or single-link DVI is going to be very low quality and the graphics output is not going to change that.
Sep 24, 2021
you should start with getting a decent display.
anything still using VGA or single-link DVI is going to be very low quality and the graphics output is not going to change that.
But i dont understand why was it crisp clean with the previous ancient hd 7770.
Could it be PSU related? or maybe a pc reset could help me? Thank you for your reply

Sep 24, 2021
Are you running the native resolution of the monitor?

Have the games changed their detail settings to low?

Did you remove the old AMD driver and have you installed the latest NVidia driver directly from NVidia or GeForceExperience?
Yes i am running native resolution which is 1920x1080. I deinstalled drivers using ddu and then downloaded drivers from geforceExperience and they didnt work so i tried downloading them manually, same results. It is soo wierd i will give you an example: In ark survival evolved setting from low to ultra changes things a bit, for example tree details look good up close but everything that is not very very close looks like it is rendered in 800 x 600 resolution. I tried running the game from geforce experience and optimizing it. Also full hd videos on youtube now look better on my phone.. Settings in Rainbow Six Siege look exactly the same on low and ultra.
Thank you for your reply, best regards.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The PSU is unlikely to be causing the performance issue, but it should still be replaced or this GPU is unlikely to be a problem for long; this is a notorious fake 560W PSU, cheaply made and inflicted upon people mainly in Eastern Europe. It only has a maximum of 192W of +12V power and I wouldn't trust it even for that.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Yes i am running native resolution which is 1920x1080. I deinstalled drivers using ddu and then downloaded drivers from geforceExperience and they didnt work so i tried downloading them manually, same results. It is soo wierd i will give you an example: In ark survival evolved setting from low to ultra changes things a bit, for example tree details look good up close but everything that is not very very close looks like it is rendered in 800 x 600 resolution. I tried running the game from geforce experience and optimizing it. Also full hd videos on youtube now look better on my phone.. Settings in Rainbow Six Siege look exactly the same on low and ultra.
Thank you for your reply, best regards.
Not being able to install the latest drivers is a big red flag. If it’s running default Windows drivers then no surprise it is bad. At this point I’d consider a fresh install of Windows to try and rule out a software problem. However not being able to install the correct driver could be a sign of a faulty or fake gpu. Where did the gpu come from?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Sep 24, 2021
The PSU is unlikely to be causing the performance issue, but it should still be replaced or this GPU is unlikely to be a problem for long; this is a notorious fake 560W PSU, cheaply made and inflicted upon people mainly in Eastern Europe. It only has a maximum of 192W of +12V power and I wouldn't trust it even for that.
I see. It is also atleast 10 years old so im just know wondering can underpowered gpu cause that kind of image degradation. Thank you for reply

Sep 24, 2021
Not being able to install the latest drivers is a big red flag. If it’s running default Windows drivers then no surprise it is bad. At this point I’d consider a fresh install of Windows to try and rule out a software problem. However not being able to install the correct driver could be a sign of a faulty or fake gpu. Where did the gpu come from?
Oh im sorry english is not my native.. what i meant by saying that new drivers dont work is that they did not fix the image. All drivers work newer and older.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I see. It is also atleast 10 years old so im just know wondering can underpowered gpu cause that kind of image degradation. Thank you for reply

Not usually directly, but a PSU of that low quality can damage a GPU. And damage is possible. You've gone from a card that uses around 80W of +12V power to one that can go up into the 130-140W range at load, on a PSU that can only theoretically provide 192W of +12V power (the CPU needs it too). And consider this is in the junk tier from a quality standpoint (and a decade old!), I doubt the voltage regulation/electronic ripple aren't horrifying at load. This GPU should never have been connected to this PSU.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
So yesterday i bought an used GTX 1060 3GB to finally upgrade my pc. My last graphic card was Radeon HD 7770 so i expected a big bump in quality but boy was i wrong.

Before i explain the problem here are my specs:

Zotac GTX 1060 3gb
Intel i5-4440 3.2 ghz
Blueberry 560W PSU
Gigabyte-h81m-s2pv

So the problem is: When i installed the gpu i had a VGA only monitor so i had to buy a hdmi to vga adapter. Everything booted up fine BUT GAMES LOOK HORRIBLE, i tried newest drivers as well as some of the olders one. Example: if i go to graphic setting in any game and change te graphics from low to ultra change te resolutons and everything, EVERYTHING STAYS and looks THE SAME. My gpu usage is 98% and runs furmark very well.

Then, i thought okay so the monitor is no good, so i took my brothers monitor which is PHILIPS226VLE, and has a dvi-d port same as my gpu, so i went and bought the cable but they only had the single link one. I know a single one can go in the dual so i went for it but woaha the same exact problem persists, all games run butter smooth but look like bad resolution gta vice city. I dont even know what to do anymore i am on a very tight budget. I looked at all threads on the internet but nothing helped me.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks in advance.
What INGAME resolution are you using?
I would blame the VGA monitor. It is highly bottlenecking the performance of your GPU.
Where did you plug the VGA to HDMI converter? The motherboard or the GPU?