[SOLVED] Games lost to time

Remeca

Reputable
There's a couple of PC games I remember playing as a kid, that just don't exist any more, except lost in a box in somebody's basement maybe.

The first was part of an interactive set of screensaver for Windows 95/98, and it was called Bug Wars. You were one of several different types of robotic insect, each with their own strengths and weaknesses, and weapons, and you drove or flew around a map from a top down perspective, trying to destroy other robot bugs before you got destroyed. There were a couple of flying bugs, and 3 or 4 walking bugs. My favourite was a centipede type bug that was slow, but if you could point your rear pinchers at another ground bug at close range, it would one hit kill them. Some bugs had machine guns, some had grenade launchers, and some had AA missiles, or a combination of those. I found the disc on ebay once over ten years ago, but I didn't have the money to buy it, and I haven't been able to find it since. The only other screensaver I remember from the CD was called Minarets, and it basically just procedurally drew minarets of various heights and colours. That game was the reason my parents started putting a timer on how long I could play on the computer.

The other game I think was called Area 51, no not that one. It was a pack in game with the first video card I ever bought, I think a Rage3D 4mb agp card. You piloted a spaceship type vehicle around a 3d environment, trying to shoot turrets and get to a location without getting blown up. Another cool thing I remember about that game, was when I put it in the cd player of my dad's truck, it would play the soundtrack of the game.

Are there any games from your childhood that you will never get to play again?

Solution
Steam has been adding quite a few dated games, many that don't even end up on the Store intro page unless that's the majority of games you play and even so is usually drowned out by upcoming titles or new releases.

My favorite Final Fantasy title, VIII, was just remastered on there.

I know there's been a few that came out since 1971 but a game I enjoyed was Oregon Trail. The amount of mistakes I made in that game were pretty epic, half the family ended up with something similar to scurvy and the other half were trampled by buffalo.

WildCard999

Titan
Steam has been adding quite a few dated games, many that don't even end up on the Store intro page unless that's the majority of games you play and even so is usually drowned out by upcoming titles or new releases.

My favorite Final Fantasy title, VIII, was just remastered on there.

I know there's been a few that came out since 1971 but a game I enjoyed was Oregon Trail. The amount of mistakes I made in that game were pretty epic, half the family ended up with something similar to scurvy and the other half were trampled by buffalo.

Solution

Remeca

Reputable
That looks like a fun old game, but it isn't exactly what I mean. At least there's YouTube videos of that game, plus other people that recognize it. I'm talking more about games you used to love that don't really exist anywhere any more. I can't find mention of either game I'm talking about on the internet at all, and nobody I've asked has ever heard of them, except for my friends who played them with me.

Just pc games or old console stuff like F-117 Nighthawk on SEGA
I don't know that game, but I'm talking about pretty much any game for any platform that basically only exist in our memory, not just old games we used to play.

WildCard999

Titan
That looks like a fun old game, but it isn't exactly what I mean. At least there's YouTube videos of that game, plus other people that recognize it. I'm talking more about games you used to love that don't really exist anywhere any more. I can't find mention of either game I'm talking about on the internet at all, and nobody I've asked has ever heard of them, except for my friends who played them with me.

I don't know that game, but I'm talking about pretty much any game for any platform that basically only exist in our memory, not just old games we used to play.
Sorry about that, misunderstood what you were talking about. I see now it's more about the classic games that are nearly impossible to find.

D

Deleted member 14196

Shoot everything I used to play has all been remastered now like Bards Tale. Well I have to really sit and think about this

how about this one? i played this with my nephews on Intellevision and each of us took turns as the gunners. and one was the pilot and one the bomber... it was hilarious fun!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gChFuTtoUVY

Last edited by a moderator: