[SOLVED] Games not using all they should be

natedog1636

Honorable
BANNED
Aug 9, 2018
I have a i3 530 and a GT 1030, they run some games fine, but most run at about 50-60% cpu and 50-60% gpu, and I am not getting over 45 fps most of the time. is this normal or is there something i can do so the games use more?

Specs
i3 530
GT 1030
8GB DDR3 1333mhz 4x2
Kingston 240gb ssd
300w psu

Solution
Your i3 530 has only 2 cores. The games you are running (of which you make no mention of) likely have a single main thread and then 1 or 2 minor threads. Your one thread will utilize most of one core and the OS will stick the other threads on the second core.

You have hyper threading so each core has 2 thread que's, but you only have one execution core per 2 hyper threads so work is only being done on 2 hyper threads at any one instance. Depending on the type of data being processed, hyper threading can help with speeds.

Also you have to use some specialized monitoring setups to actually see how your threads are utilizing your cpu in a real time state. Most software that monitors CPU utilization do so at refresh rates no where near...
You can try updating your drivers and perhaps do a clean reinstall via DDU, look here if you don't know how.

Check your individual cpu core usage, it could be that it's using 50-60% of of the cpu but 80-100% on a single core, thus causing reduced gpu usage.

But, with a 1030 + 1st gen i3 combo, you shouldn't really expect much more fps in the first place

JeffDaemon

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
Your i3 530 has only 2 cores. The games you are running (of which you make no mention of) likely have a single main thread and then 1 or 2 minor threads. Your one thread will utilize most of one core and the OS will stick the other threads on the second core.

You have hyper threading so each core has 2 thread que's, but you only have one execution core per 2 hyper threads so work is only being done on 2 hyper threads at any one instance. Depending on the type of data being processed, hyper threading can help with speeds.

Also you have to use some specialized monitoring setups to actually see how your threads are utilizing your cpu in a real time state. Most software that monitors CPU utilization do so at refresh rates no where near the actual cpu speed, and do not tell you what core/hyper thread each program thread is being crunched on. A program thread can hop between multiple cores per second depending on load.

Solution