[SOLVED] Games on HHD getting lag spikes

Apr 20, 2020
I've had my pc for a little over two years now and for the entire time I've been using a hand me down Seagate 500Gb HHD from my friend and its worked fine. About a month ago, I ordered an M.2 SSD to use as a boot drive and everything worked great. Games loaded faster and I had more space to use. About two days ago I tried loading into a BTD6 game and every couple of seconds I would go from 144 fps, to 0 for about 8-10 seconds and this would happen consistently essentially making the game unplayable. This happens in every game on my HHD, but games on my SSD work smoothly.

Specs
(CPU) Intel Core i5 8400
(RAM) G.SKILL Aegis 12Gb @ 2400
(GPU) MSI 1050ti 4Gb
(SSD) Team Group MS30 M.2 2280 256GB
(HHD) Segate 500Gb 7200Rpm

I am planning on upgrading to a new HHD, I just want to be able to play games on my HHD until then so that I don't have to let my computer transfer ARK to my SSD for 4 hours every time I want to play it.

Last edited:
Solution
Nowadays, games regularly load textures during live play. On a slow HDD this will cause lag. You can improve it by getting a faster HDD but you'll need an SSD to really make a difference.

Why not just leave the games that suffer from HDD lag on your SSD? Constantly transferring those games back and forth is just causing unneeded wear on your SSD. Bear in mind that your lag will probably still be there, to some degree, regardless of which HDD you get. Instead of picking up an HDD, I'd recommend getting a cheap SATA SSD instead.
Nowadays, games regularly load textures during live play. On a slow HDD this will cause lag. You can improve it by getting a faster HDD but you'll need an SSD to really make a difference.

Why not just leave the games that suffer from HDD lag on your SSD? Constantly transferring those games back and forth is just causing unneeded wear on your SSD. Bear in mind that your lag will probably still be there, to some degree, regardless of which HDD you get. Instead of picking up an HDD, I'd recommend getting a cheap SATA SSD instead.

Solution