Games on same SSD as OS?

parkour47

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
I wasn't sure if I should put this question here or in Storage, but I'm about to install some games (after a fresh install of Windows 7 and basic apps), and wondered if it'd be best to put them on my other SSD or the same one as my OS, etc.

Will it make a difference as neither drive has much data on it yet -- sorry if this has already been asked, I did a quick search but couldn't find a clear guide.

Solution
My system has 2 SSD's, one for Win 7 boot and one for Win 8.1. I have games installed on both of my SSD's and notice no difference in performance if the game is installed on the same drive as the currently used OS vs. the secondary OS drive. Though the only games that really seem to benefit from SSD are open world (Skyrim, The Witcher).
Any games that you play all the time, or have long loading times I recommend putting on your SSD. Stand alone titles on a seperate drive.

Once all your games are installed and everything is updated, do your self a favor and do a complete backup of your C drive. That way if anything goes wrong down the road, you won't have to reinstall windows, or redownload and install the games you play most often. I just use the Windows complete system image tool, but there are better programs for this out there. I set up a new image every 3 months, and it has saved me a TON of time, lol. :p

EDIT: I didn't realize you have two SSD's. Yeah, one for OS and the other for the games you play most often.

USAFRet

Titan

A lot depends on the size of the drives.

I have 2 x 120GB drives. One has the OS and all applications, the other has working files and a couple of games.
If either were larger, they might hold more games.

parkour47

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Both my SSDs are 512GB, C drive houses the OS, system files and a few apps, D drive just has media files on it for now.

I back up my user files (including appdata) about once per month on an external HDD.

FinalDrive

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
My system has 2 SSD's, one for Win 7 boot and one for Win 8.1. I have games installed on both of my SSD's and notice no difference in performance if the game is installed on the same drive as the currently used OS vs. the secondary OS drive. Though the only games that really seem to benefit from SSD are open world (Skyrim, The Witcher).

Solution

parkour47

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Well I do plan to get back into Skyrim (and Fallout: TTW), just have to pick through thousands of mods beforehand. I'm not sure I'd call the first two Witcher games open world, but the third title in the series, The Wild Hunt, promises to be.

Anywho, thanks for all the replies.