Question Games on usb drive

1cherokee79

Honorable
BANNED
Sep 16, 2017
WHen looking for gaming ROMs online, how do you download them on the computer and then install them on a USB drive to play on the Raspberry pi 4.

D

Deleted member 362816

You should have no issue finding a guide on google, I am not comfortable telling you how to do this due to most ROM's being illegal where I am from without a physical copy of the game owned.

1cherokee79

Honorable
BANNED
Sep 16, 2017
Ok, I haven't got around to getting the Rom yet.
Do i create a folder on the USB drive and then connect the USB driveto the Raspberry Pi4 and would that then create some type of folders and reconnect the drive to the PC and place the ROMs in the folders.

Kodi is not meant for gaming although I think it does support running emulators.
You would have to read the manual.
In general each software expects a certain folder structure with roms for each emulator in their own directory.
From what I see kodi just expects you to browse to wherever the rom is and load it in so if you can find the usb you can load a rom from there, while there are library addons that would scan whole folders for supported roms.

Since you have a Pi go and get retropie, if you search for retropie full on google you will find images full with all available games. As mentioned above this could be illegal and the ISP does know and keeps a record of what you download, this goes for individual roms as well.

"roms" can be just simple .rom files as well as .bin or all sort of file extensions but it's always the full content of the memory chips of a game cartridge, for disc based systems they use .iso or similar as well.

1cherokee79

Honorable
BANNED
Sep 16, 2017
I had bought some games on cd years ago and forgot that i still had them. So how can i be able to get the games from the cd to add with my rom collection for my retropie

I had bought some games on cd years ago and forgot that i still had them. So how can i be able to get the games from the cd to add with my rom collection for my retropie
For what system? If they are windows games forget about it, DOS games you could set up (install them on virtual hard drive and set up sound) on a PC to run inside dosbox and then transfer them and retropi would run them, but it's a huge pain in the back.
If they are console CDs just turn them into .iso (imgburn) and put them into the correct folder.