[SOLVED] Games opeining in tiny windows after trying new GPU

Apr 14, 2020
Hi, is anyone familiar with the Windows 10 tiny window problem?

I installed new RAM in my PC last night, so I while I had the side off, I thought I'd try out a GTX 750 TI that I found. It didn't work, so I binned it. I plugged back into the GT 220(which I left in its original slot), this time with a DVI cable. I had display, but it was doing odd things, so I went back to the trusty old VGA. My display was back to normal. Average but good enough for me to watch YouTube and play Quake 2 mods and RTCW.

Problem is, when I open Q2, it only opens in a ridiculously tiny window that cannot be enlarged!
In other words: Windows 10 is not automatically adjusting the resolution to suit the low res game. I tried the card in a different slot and it only worked with the basic VGA display, so I put it back into its original slot and it seems to be working again. (Maybe I shouldn't have chucked the GTX 750 TI until I tried it in the other slot) :rolleyes:
I tried Angry Birds and RTCW and they are both back to normal, but Quake 2 is still only opening in the small window.

Any ideas? I can't search Google or YouTube because I can't explain the whole problem there.
Cheers
Ant

Solution
while the game is running, press the hotkeys ALT + RETURN to toggle the window to full screen

eventually use the tool ddu uninstaller and reinstall the latest driver for your GT 220
Apr 14, 2020
Okay, so I played around a bit more. I uninstalled the graphics driver and reinstalled it using Windows' automatic driver search.
I opened Quake 2 and still, the tiny window! So, I figured since I'd tried everything I could think of, I change the "video" settings in the game. DUH!!
Changed it back to Default OpenGL and put it on the highest resolution supported by my monitor and selected "Yes" for fullscreen and it worked! I closed the game and reopened it and it's all good.