Games run slower on Windows 8

RVAJake

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014
When I bought this laptop it came with windows 8 on it, I wasn't a huge fan of windows 8 so I downloaded windows 7 ultimate on it and was running it like that for a while. eventually my wifi adapter was constantly having problems and while googling for an awnser I found the only fix was a driver that was made for windows 8/ 8.1 (not windows 7).

so I redownloaded windows 8.1 and all my video games on this pc are super laggy ( as if my GPU couldn't run it) but when I was running windows 7, I ran all the same games on either the medium or highest settings. (like skyrim for example, but now its too laggy to play.)

is there a fix to this or anything can I try?

Solution
1) You probably need to install the VIDEO DRIVER. Get the latest direct from your LAPTOP SITE.

There may be other drivers there you would benefit from as well. Some laptops have TWO GPU's (i.e. Intel + NVidia) and use a program to switch to the better GPU only as needed (i.e. a game). That software is at the laptop site. I don't know if it's part of one package but you should be able to tell what to install. Check back in a few months to see if any video updates are there.

Other:
a) FYI, Windows 8 is better than Windows 7. You can get a program like Start8 from Stardock to bring back the menu. You can even bootup directly to the traditional desktop with no new start screen or even login if you want (google for how).

b) you didn't...
1) You probably need to install the VIDEO DRIVER. Get the latest direct from your LAPTOP SITE.

There may be other drivers there you would benefit from as well. Some laptops have TWO GPU's (i.e. Intel + NVidia) and use a program to switch to the better GPU only as needed (i.e. a game). That software is at the laptop site. I don't know if it's part of one package but you should be able to tell what to install. Check back in a few months to see if any video updates are there.

Other:
a) FYI, Windows 8 is better than Windows 7. You can get a program like Start8 from Stardock to bring back the menu. You can even bootup directly to the traditional desktop with no new start screen or even login if you want (google for how).

b) you didn't actually need to re-download Windows 8 so I hope you didn't pay for it. A backup IMAGE exists on all laptops which enable you to restore Windows to the state it was in when you bought it (which wipes out everything else).

c) I suggest you get a USB drive and make a backup IMAGE using a program like Acronis True Image. If your drive fails or gets corrupted you can restore to the last backup.

Summary:
- drivers from laptop site
- Start8 ($5)
- backup Image

Solution