Question Games Running in Fullscreen Causing Blackscreen Crash

SHORTCIRCUT

Reputable
Dec 24, 2019
(Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum)

So a while ago, I had to reinstall Windows 10 due to some issues, and while at the moment everything seemed to be working fine, there is one major issue I'm currently having. Whenever I run a game in fullscreen mode, the game usually works fine before a minute or 2 before the screen suddenly goes black (or white in some cases) and eventually crashes. I don't get a usual BSOD error, I instead have to manually restart the PC each time.

Looking through reliability history, it seems to be an issue with the nvlddmkm.sys and having a DPC Watchdog error. What's weird about this is that I tried using another GPU to see if the problems still occur, and after uninstalling the drivers (through DDU) and reinstalling, everything worked fine. So to confirm, I retested the main GPU once more, and after going through with uninstalling and reinstalling...everything worked fine. That is, it only worked fine for that single boot, as soon as I turned off the PC for the day and reboot it, the problem reoccurred. Unfortunately, I don't have a close by friend I can test the potentially faulty GPU on another system. PSU voltages seemed ok from what I've checked in BIOS (although that wasn't under load I assume so maybe it could be that?)

Let me know if there are any tests that can help with debugging this

And if this information also helps, I've tested this with a variety of different games, both old and new. Some games such as PAYDAY 2 and the new Modern Warfare (only in the sub menu's though like 'Multiplayer' 'Coop' etc), the screen will go black after about a minute or 2 in the main menu's. Other games like Project CARS 2 and Minecraft however, menu navigation is fine but it's only in actual gameplay, where the screen cuts to black after a minute or 2. One other weird thing is that testing City Car Driving simulator worked one I first tested it, but then stopped working the 2nd time I tested it (without making any changes and whatnot)

I've attached the info collection that they usually ask for over at Tenforums, if you need specific dumps then feel free to ask

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlG8QRyMLDBTiWZ8U5dYfxo9keoj?e=mPfjHw

Also from Reliability Manager:

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
Code: 133
Parameter 1: 0
Parameter 2: 501
Parameter 3: 500
Parameter 4: fffff8042e373358
OS version: 10_0_18363
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.18363.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 4105

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 0x133_DPC_nvlddmkm!rcdbAddAssertJournalRec

(It does say Bluescreen, but I never actually encountered a Bluescreen, it's always either a Whitescreen or Blackscreen)

SHORTCIRCUT

Reputable
Dec 24, 2019
full system spec? include make and model of the psu

CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i7-9700KF 3.60GHZ 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151 [w/o Integrated Graphic] (Coffee Lake)
1TB WD Blue Series SATA-III 6 GB/s SSD (Plus 16GB Intel Optane Memory SSD Acceleration 2X Faster)
1TB WD Green Series SATA-III 6 Gb/s SSD
A 2TB Hard Drive from my previous computer that I installed into this one
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Prime Z390-P ATX w/ WiFi 802.11AC RGB, USB 3.1, 2 PCIe x16, 4 PCIe x1, 4 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe
PSU: 750 Watts - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular
GPU: EVGA GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ XC GAMING 8G GDDR6 (Turing)
RAM: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory (GSKILL Trident Z RGB)

Currently running Windows 10 ver.1909 (Build 18363.418)

SHORTCIRCUT

Reputable
Dec 24, 2019
Ok, I think I know what seems to be going on with these crashes.

I ran task manager in the background and booted up Project CARS 2 (in windowed mode). What I noticed was that in the menu's, the GPU usage was fine, sitting around ~30/40%. However, after about a minute, suddenly the GPU usage just spiked up to 99/100%, and then shortly after the white/black screen occurred.

I'm not really sure what exactly is causing this massive spike. It's not like it's rapidly rising towards 100%, it literally jumps from 30/40% to 100% and then crashes. I tried turning down the power settings in EVGA's Precision X1, but that didn't seem to do anything (maybe I did it wrong?)

EDIT: nvr mind the 100% spike only occurs when I enter graphical settings. It still crashes in gameplay

Last edited:

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Ok, I think I know what seems to be going on with these crashes.

I ran task manager in the background and booted up Project CARS 2 (in windowed mode). What I noticed was that in the menu's, the GPU usage was fine, sitting around ~30/40%. However, after about a minute, suddenly the GPU usage just spiked up to 99/100%, and then shortly after the white/black screen occurred.

I'm not really sure what exactly is causing this massive spike. It's not like it's rapidly rising towards 100%, it literally jumps from 30/40% to 100% and then crashes. I tried turning down the power settings in EVGA's Precision X1, but that didn't seem to do anything (maybe I did it wrong?)

EDIT: nvr mind the 100% spike only occurs when I enter graphical settings. It still crashes in gameplay

And your vram usage?

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Yep, using Malwarebytes no problems reported

Ok, I looked at one of your crash dump files, and it looks like its an issue related to your memory possibly being corrupted. You should run one of those memory testing tools like the ones linked below. I never used one before because I never had to, but these are the tools people commonly use with memory related issues.

memtest86+

Driver Verifier

SHORTCIRCUT

Reputable
Dec 24, 2019
Ok, I looked at one of your crash dump files, and it looks like its an issue related to your memory possibly being corrupted. You should run one of those memory testing tools like the ones linked below. I never used one before because I never had to, but these are the tools people commonly use with memory related issues.

memtest86+

Driver Verifier
Thanks for the suggestions. I've already ran Memtest and it passed for 8 tests so I'm assuming it's good on that front. I'll run a proper Driver Verifier test tomorrow and get back with the results

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Thanks for the suggestions. I've already ran Memtest and it passed for 8 tests so I'm assuming it's good on that front. I'll run a proper Driver Verifier test tomorrow and get back with the results

What I'm focusing on now as the possible culprit are corrupted Nvidia drivers, due to this part of your crash dump file:

MODULE_NAME: nvlddmkm

IMAGE_NAME: nvlddmkm.sys

I may have incorrectly assumed it was your memory, because the 'nvlddmkm.sys' error is related to your GPU. It stands for "Nvidia Windows Longhorn Display Driver Model Kernel Mode Driver". The first thing I would try right now is doing a clean install of your Nvidia graphics drivers. Once you install them, restart your computer before trying to play a game again.

SHORTCIRCUT

Reputable
Dec 24, 2019
What I'm focusing on now as the possible culprit are corrupted Nvidia drivers, due to this part of your crash dump file:

MODULE_NAME: nvlddmkm

IMAGE_NAME: nvlddmkm.sys

I may have incorrectly assumed it was your memory, because the 'nvlddmkm.sys' error is related to your GPU. It stands for "Nvidia Windows Longhorn Display Driver Model Kernel Mode Driver". The first thing I would try right now is doing a clean install of your Nvidia graphics drivers. Once you install them, restart your computer before trying to play a game again.
yea the nvlddmkm.sys is what I see as well when I looked at the logs. I did try doing a DDU uninstall but that didn't end up working.

The weird part is, when I actually reinstall the physical GPU itself (i.e., taking out the GPU, inserting another one then taking that one out and inserting the original GPU) and reinstalling the drivers, it works perfectly fine for that initial boot, but as soon as I shutdown the PC and reboot it again (i.e., the 2nd boot since doing that physical GPU reinstall) then everything goes back to not working

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
yea the nvlddmkm.sys is what I see as well when I looked at the logs. I did try doing a DDU uninstall but that didn't end up working.

The weird part is, when I actually reinstall the physical GPU itself (i.e., taking out the GPU, inserting another one then taking that one out and inserting the original GPU) and reinstalling the drivers, it works perfectly fine for that initial boot, but as soon as I shutdown the PC and reboot it again (i.e., the 2nd boot since doing that physical GPU reinstall) then everything goes back to not working

The link below gives some few extra steps you can try. Not sure it will work at all, and you do this at your risk, because nvlddmkm.sys is a pretty critical file. If I were having this issue, my mindset would be 'why not, I bought this PC primarily for gaming, and it ain't working so I don't have that much more to lose anyway.'

Fix NVIDIA nvlddmkm.sys Blue Screen Error

SHORTCIRCUT

Reputable
Dec 24, 2019
The link below gives some few extra steps you can try. Not sure it will work at all, and you do this at your risk, because nvlddmkm.sys is a pretty critical file.

Fix NVIDIA nvlddmkm.sys Blue Screen Error
Thanks again. I might actually go with the 2nd step (renaming the file and so on). I remember having issues with the intelppm.sys file a while ago, and doing the renaming trick with that ended up working so this might as well :p

SHORTCIRCUT

Reputable
Dec 24, 2019
Have you tried doing a clean install of the operating system?
Actually, this problem started happening directly after a clean install. My gut is telling me that it could be because the install didn't go through as good as it could've been (i.e., it kept on freezing during install and I had to manually reboot it countless times), but I want to try other possible options before reinstalling W10 again, cause man is it a pain to deal with

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Actually, this problem started happening directly after a clean install. My gut is telling me that it could be because the install didn't go through as good as it could've been (i.e., it kept on freezing during install and I had to manually reboot it countless times), but I want to try other possible options before reinstalling W10 again, cause man is it a pain to deal with

It is indeed a pain in the ass, but that might be your problem. I would try another clean install and see if it works.

SHORTCIRCUT

Reputable
Dec 24, 2019
That might work.
Went through with the "Restart my PC" option, and nothing came out of it. Guess a full clean restore is the only option?

What I don't get, is why does doing that GPU swap thing result in the problem being solved, but only for that initial boot? Can't seem to understand why doing a single restart causes the problem to reoccur?

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Went through with the "Restart my PC" option, and nothing came out of it. Guess a full clean restore is the only option?

What I don't get, is why does doing that GPU swap thing result in the problem being solved, but only for that initial boot? Can't seem to understand why doing a single restart causes the problem to reoccur?

You can try a clean install, but I'm curious, how long have you had this PC before these problems started occurring?