games running slow on higher settings

glssghst2001

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
I have a modified ASUS M51bc that I've updated over the last 2 years.
The problem is that most games (even dated) run slow on higher settings like 1080p 60fps.

I've done some benchmarks and find that the GPU, RAM, and CPU thermals are average while under load and at idle. For instance when playing Diablo 3 at 1080p at 59fps the game still slows down when there's a lot going on, however my CPU maxes at 60%, GPU is even lower and my ram is only at about 28% along with the SSD running even lower.

I've done a scan for viruses and malware that comes up negative. I've reinstalled the GPU and reinstalled the video drivers (along with updating my monitors, audio, and other devices drivers.)

I reseated the RAM in their DIMS and double checked to make sure they were installed in the correct sequence. Also ran the MemoryCheck utility that comes with windows and found no errors;
But I will not that when I used a benchmark utility it told me that my RAM was performing in the 40 percentile.

I have also checked my PSU connections and they seem perfect.

Still same results. I'm beginning to think my MOBO's capacity just plainly unfit for the upgraded components or my ram simply needs to be replaced.

As I understand, I never intended this to be a high end gaming rig, but more a moderate gaming/audio machine but still I think I should be getting better performance with the upgrades i've made. I guess i'm looking for some guidanceand if there is a real issue with the system or if upgrades are necessary with any advice.

Here are my system specs:

M51bc Mobo
CPU: AMD FX8300 3.5
Heat Sync: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO with 2 fans in a push pull configuration
GPU: XFX AMD R9 280x
PSU: Corsair CX750M
SSD (boot drive): Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB
HDD: WD 2TB
RAM: 12G total, 1x8 and 1x4 1600 MHz (can't remember the manufacturer but they came stock with the original system)
Case: Cooler Master N400
Monitors: ASUS VX238H Black 23", HP L2245w 22"
Windows 10 Pro

Solution
Your memory config isn't helping. You are probably running in single channel mode. That is why you are in the 40th percentile. You should buy a matched set of two 8GB DIMMs.