Question Games running slow on new HDD

Nov 2, 2019
I recently bought a 2TB seagate barracuda HDD specifically to run games on. After the install, I migrated my entire steam library over to the new drive without any problems and have played a few games without issue, namely Resident Evil 2, Civ 6, and The Outer Worlds.

The problem started today when I tried to run Skyrim Special Edition. It was running at 24 fps max, dipping down to 8 fps in some areas. Skyrim is notorious for performance issues so I went thru a gamut of troubleshooting solutions that did not work. I eventually gave up and loaded up Doom, only to find that it too had a similar issue, running at 70 fps and dropping to 40 fps in some areas. Given the fact that the only hardware change I made recently was the HDD, I decided to test it and see if moving the games back to the old HDD would effect it, and sure enough: Skyrim at a solid 60 fps and Doom at 144.

I have a SSD boot drive that only has windows on it. My other 2 HDDs are the mentioned 2TB seagate and a 1TB WD Black. The 1 TB HDD is the drive I have steam installed on. My game library is on the SG drive. Now my question is, what is going on? I've run tests on the drive and it came back clean. Why do many of my games run okay, but Doom and Skyrim have problems? Is the problem unrelated to the HDD and simply migrating the directories just so happened to fix the issue?

Windows 10 Pro v. 1903
Intel i7-6700K @4.00GHz
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070 Super
16 GB RAM 2666 MHz

TRENDING THREADS