Question Games running slower than they should

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 29, 2019
2nd time im posting but really i need help.

So my pc's specs are

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2Ghz
AMD Radeon R9 200 Series, it says that im not sure what it exactly is could be 270 or 370, i dont know
8GB of ram DDR3

And for example some games just lag, i was playing Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions, a game that i should have no problems running on ultra and it sometimes had lag spikes, league of legends i should also be able to play comfortably on max, but when i do i get 60 fps but whenever i do anything it drops, especially late game it just drops to 40-50 even though its on medium, CSGO tho i can play on ultra and get 60 fps no lag spikes.

Windows Expirience Index are 7.5 for CPU Calculations per second, 7.5 RAM memory operations per sec, 7.9 for graphics card, but its a 5.9 for HDD disk data transfer rate.

I have a 500W Power supply, and im pretty sure my temperatures are good though if anyone can recommend a program to check them while im gaming etc it would be very helpful. I checked them in CPUID Monitor and they are about 45 while im doing just some stuff to mess around in league, but even the fps drops to like 70 when theres noone but me in the game and im just messing around. League isnt a very have game anyway so it shouldnt even jump up much in temperatures.

I think that a game like league of legends should run for sure on constant 100 fps on Medium and about 80 fps constant on Very High but im just not getting that, any suggestions, maybe its cause league of legends draws files from the Hard Drive so it slows down because the hard drive cant give the files fast enough, help with some suggestions?
GPU
SPD
Memory
Mainboard
Caches
CPU
Here are some CPU Z screenshots if they help

Here is a Performance Test rating aswell http://prntscr.com/oljbpq
Here is also the Radeon Settings chart for my GPU - http://prntscr.com/olljit
Here is the Hardware id http://prntscr.com/olkz8b i download drivers only from the amd site though they are a few months old, but still, help?

Jul 29, 2019
I understand, they could have offerd you a i5 system instead since older i5 usually bets amd but I guess you can do ok with this system to.

this for example is a very affordable used computer, I upgraded one of them myself with i5 processor and its almost as fast as many new systems. the
psu can also be changed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Pro-350...466990?hash=item1a811f60ee:g:T9sAAOSwpWVdPvQb
Well it was that pc shop, they had an i5, not gonna lie, but it was 380 dollars for literally the same pc, same graphics card etc just with an i5, and i just didnt have money since as i said im 17 and this was all my collected money poured into this, i know my pc can run for example league on very high 60 fps easily, though idk why it doesnt want to, it could be because of my psu and because my ram is only single channel, i really dont know why it wont

Jul 29, 2019
It should replace the old drivers on it's own.

I see nothing wrong with using the AIO driver, but I would double back and make sure it downloaded the ones you need.
i see, so replacing my drivers, replacing my psu, and making my ram dual channel should give me the results i desire and should realisticly get with my pc?

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
enermax brand should be ok. if it only can output 384 w it could be close. radeon r9 270 and 290 has high tdp so its possible that your system is over 300 even more under load.
they are right the psu could be the problem.

Jul 29, 2019
enermax brand should be ok. if it only can output 384 w it could be close. radeon r9 270 and 290 has high tdp so its possible that your system is over 300 even more under load.
they are right the psu could be the problem.
well im not sure if outputs only 384W or 500W, i mean it says its 500 but since they say the pc only pulls from the 12v and there it outputs 384W it technically outputs 384 rather than 500

Jul 29, 2019
It is a quality PSU but an old one. It only has the 384 watts available on the +12 volts but should run your rig. If it was not big enough you would experience shut downs.
then what could be the problem for my rig not running as it should?
The psu could be damaged since honestly i do have a warranty and need to get it replaced or fixed since it makes like a noise sometimes, i cant explain the noise
Could it be dust clogged into the pc that it needs to be cleaned?
Maybe the ram is faulty and is causing problems, or maybe it should really be dual channel so it works better?

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
hard to say it can be anything, a ssd could improve performance.how old is the harddrive
your using now?
even 4 gb ram should be more than enough for that game. I don't think its the ram
it would improve performance in newer games but that game don't need a lot of ram.
check the cpu and gpu temperature while playing. if they get to hot they will throttle down and give less performance. download coretemp and hw monitor.

Jul 29, 2019
hard to say it can be anything, a ssd could improve performance.how old is the harddrive
your using now?
even 4 gb ram should be more than enough for that game. I don't think its the ram
it would improve performance in newer games but that game don't need a lot of ram.
check the cpu and gpu temperature while playing. if they get to hot they will throttle down and give less performance. download coretemp and hw monitor.
ill do that tomorrow
Idk how old the drive is honestly, but i read somewhere that league pulls files from the hard and windows rating says that my drive is the lowest rated component, like 5.9 rating, while the others are 7.5 and 7.9, so it could may aswell be my hard.
Like i can run the game at 60-70 fps very high, yes, but only when doing basic laning, whenever a little bit more stuff happens it drops to 50 even less

Jul 29, 2019
Single vs Dual Channel Memory

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k5wA7EFwpo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XmCE7Qfbt4

This is to give you an idea of what you're missing out on just running on single channel. This is just a reference. Don't expect the same level of performance unless you have the exact same parts and software as the video posters.
Thats like a 50 fps increase at least, or well if i got another like 4 gbs thats at least 30 fps increase, right? Hm, but would adding 4 more gbs of ram thats compatible with my other ram stick give me good results?

Jul 29, 2019
Single vs Dual Channel Memory

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k5wA7EFwpo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XmCE7Qfbt4

This is to give you an idea of what you're missing out on just running on single channel. This is just a reference. Don't expect the same level of performance unless you have the exact same parts and software as the video posters.
Also, not sure if its just me, but it seems like the GPU and CPU usage percentages go up aswell using dual channel?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thats like a 50 fps increase at least, or well if i got another like 4 gbs thats at least 30 fps increase, right? Hm, but would adding 4 more gbs of ram thats compatible with my other ram stick give me good results?
That's if the other stick gets along with the one already in the motherboard first.
If it does work, then performance is down to the overall strength of your PC.

We also don't know the exact parts the other setups consisted of. Your results will vary from those.
The point of this is to show that there is extra performance to be had with an extra stick.
Best if you bought a new 2x 4GB, or 2x 8GB kit, but if you don't have the budget for 'em, you'll just have to work with what ya got... and hope it actually works.

Also, not sure if its just me, but it seems like the GPU and CPU usage percentages go up aswell using dual channel?
Irrelevant, unless you know the exact parts and programs installed of the owners of the videos.

Jul 29, 2019
That's if the other stick gets along with the one already in the motherboard first.
If it does work, then performance is down to the overall strength of your PC.

We also don't know the exact parts the other setups consisted of. Your results will vary from those.
The point of this is to show that there is extra performance to be had with an extra stick.
Best if you bought a new 2x 4GB, or 2x 8GB kit, but if you don't have the budget for 'em, you'll just have to work with what ya got... and hope it actually works.

Irrelevant, unless you know the exact parts and programs installed of the owners of the videos.
Hm so my "bad performance" could be down to my ram being only single channel, the UserBenchmark does rate my ram performing way below average so ram could really be a problem and not my psu, though it could also be a problem

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hm so my "bad performance" could be down to my ram being only single channel, the UserBenchmark does rate my ram performing way below average so ram could really be a problem and not my psu, though it could also be a problem
I'm sorry, but no, your psu is clearly suspect. It's total output is less than your system's full power draw. The sooner you are able to replace it, the better.
A good psu will not have such a large gap between the advertised output(which was a lie on this unit), and it's 'true output'.

Now that the mobo drivers are updated, what remains is replacing that psu, and a dual channel memory setup.

In the meantime, you can also update your graphics card drivers. Download the R9 270's latest driver from AMD, but don't install it yet.
Download Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), then disconnect your internet - it's to stop windows from installing a default driver.
Run DDU(requires safe mode). After it has done its thing, go ahead and install the driver, and once it's finished, you can reconnect to the net.

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sorry, but no, your psu is clearly suspect. It's total output is less than your system's full power draw. The sooner you are able to replace it, the better.
A good psu will not have such a large gap between the advertised output(which was a lie on this unit), and it's 'true output'.

Now that the mobo drivers are updated, what remains is replacing that psu, and a dual channel memory setup.

In the meantime, you can also update your graphics card drivers. Download the R9 270's latest driver from AMD, but don't install it yet.
Download Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), then disconnect your internet - it's to stop windows from installing a default driver.
Run DDU(requires safe mode). After it has done its thing, go ahead and install the driver, and once it's finished, you can reconnect to the net.
Ok so, reinstalling drivers, replacing the psu, and making my memory dual channel should give me the results i desire and should get with my pc, god i hope your answer to that is a yes..

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so, i downloaded AC 3 and everything on very high, anti analising too 60 fps, minimum was about 56 at the start, then cue the theater scene at the start where my fps dropped to like 30, it was sometimes 30,40,50,60, but generally stayed around 40-60 in the theater, i tried putting everything on normal but my fps stayed pretty much the same, in the theater i dropped anti analising to normal and my fps had no change, sometimes my GPU usage was 98%, my CPU didnt go over 40% i think and my temperatures were pretty normal, CPU didnt go over 50 degrees and GPU didnt go over 70 degrees, is that good or?
I would have had more time to test but my game crashed for some reason idk why so yeah, are these results good or should i be getting more?

TRENDING THREADS