Question Games running slower than they should

Jul 29, 2019
2nd time im posting but really i need help.

So my pc's specs are

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2Ghz
AMD Radeon R9 200 Series, it says that im not sure what it exactly is could be 270 or 370, i dont know
8GB of ram DDR3

And for example some games just lag, i was playing Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions, a game that i should have no problems running on ultra and it sometimes had lag spikes, league of legends i should also be able to play comfortably on max, but when i do i get 60 fps but whenever i do anything it drops, especially late game it just drops to 40-50 even though its on medium, CSGO tho i can play on ultra and get 60 fps no lag spikes.

Windows Expirience Index are 7.5 for CPU Calculations per second, 7.5 RAM memory operations per sec, 7.9 for graphics card, but its a 5.9 for HDD disk data transfer rate.

I have a 500W Power supply, and im pretty sure my temperatures are good though if anyone can recommend a program to check them while im gaming etc it would be very helpful. I checked them in CPUID Monitor and they are about 45 while im doing just some stuff to mess around in league, but even the fps drops to like 70 when theres noone but me in the game and im just messing around. League isnt a very have game anyway so it shouldnt even jump up much in temperatures.

I think that a game like league of legends should run for sure on constant 100 fps on Medium and about 80 fps constant on Very High but im just not getting that, any suggestions, maybe its cause league of legends draws files from the Hard Drive so it slows down because the hard drive cant give the files fast enough, help with some suggestions?
GPU
SPD
Memory
Mainboard
Caches
CPU
Here are some CPU Z screenshots if they help

Here is a Performance Test rating aswell http://prntscr.com/oljbpq
Here is also the Radeon Settings chart for my GPU - http://prntscr.com/olljit
Here is the Hardware id http://prntscr.com/olkz8b i download drivers only from the amd site though they are a few months old, but still, help?

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Don't think power supply would be an issue here,

Do you run a lot of background tasks as you play? Do you run any streaming overlay as you play games? Are most of these FPS hitches in games that require an always online connection ?

Jul 29, 2019
Download Gpu-z. That will identify the graphics card.
Open your case up and look for the label on the psu itself. The make and model are printed there.
Then run https://www.userbenchmark.com/ and link your results.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/18848249 Here is the UserBenchmark, you can see the CPU-Z links i have posted, it still says its an R9 200 Series, i think its a 270 though i am not completely sure
http://prntscr.com/olq52c Here is my Power supply

Jul 29, 2019
Don't think power supply would be an issue here,

Do you run a lot of background tasks as you play? Do you run any streaming overlay as you play games? Are most of these FPS hitches in games that require an always online connection ?
I run google chrome, though its only music on 1 tab and thats in 144p to minimize the impact it has, i run lightshot, malwarebytes and cc cleaner, but even when i turn those off it doesnt really make a difference. Not really i dont run anything stream related.
League of legends does require an online connection, but i dont think thats really an issue, with that rig i should be able to run it constantly on 60fps on high, but i just cant, though Spiderman Shattered Dimensions didnt need a connection yet i still got those lag spikes for some reason, i dont know why, i should EASILY run that game with 0 problems at all.
Also have you checked all the links i have provided as there should be some info that may help in determening the cause of the issue.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So from what I can see of those results:
-You're only running in single channel. Having 2 sticks would enable dual channel. What this means is that your cpu will have almost twice the memory bandwith to work with, which reduces the frame drops - your minimum frames will be higher.
-Your hard drive may be dying. Download and run HD Sentinel so we can see whether or not this is the case.
-You have a fair bit of programs running in the background. Running chrome, skype or something while trying to game? This will take precious resources away that would instead allow smoother frames while playing.
Or maybe you have PUPs running? Download and run Malwarebytes Free Adwcleaner Download. Quarantine and delete everything it finds.
-Your power supply isn't sufficient to get the most out of your system. The cpu is a 125w part + R9 270 can use up to 300w + 50w or so for everything else = 475w. The pic of your psu shows it's actually a 384w part.

There are multiple things happening at once that's causing your problems.

Jul 29, 2019
-You're only running in single channel. Having 2 sticks would enable dual channel. What this means is that your cpu will have almost twice the memory bandwith to work with, which reduces the frame drops - your minimum frames will be higher.
-Your hard drive may be dying. Download and run HD Sentinel so we can see whether or not this is the case.
-You have a fair bit of programs running in the background. Running chrome, skype or something while trying to game? This will take precious resources away that would instead allow smoother frames while playing.
Or maybe you have PUPs running? Download and run Malwarebytes Free Adwcleaner Download. Quarantine and delete everything it finds.
-Your power supply isn't sufficient to get the most out of your system. The cpu is a 125w part + R9 270 can use up to 300w + 50w or so for everything else = 475w. The pic of your psu shows it's actually a 384w part.

I see,
So the problems are my power supply and my ram, mostly the power supply since it isnt strong enough for my parts?
Hard Drive seems perfect
I do a malwarebytes scan once a week, usually get no threats, i also do a cc cleaner scan and clean out everything about once a week
So my best choice for now would be replacing the power supply and that would give me much better performance, that is the performance i want out of my rig?

Jul 29, 2019

Though i have 4gb of additional ram i could use from my old pc until i sell it, that would be a big boost in performance yes?
Aswell my PSU says 500W, so this may come as a stupid question but how come its 384 and not 500 as it says?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fps is the responsibility of the cpu, detail settings and resolution is gpu. An easy test to see what's what is run any somewhat average hard game at ultra. Rerun at the same place and way at high, med and low. Take notice of the fps. If the fps gets higher at anytime that's a gpu issue. It means the gpu is reaching its limit at that detail setting. If the fps doesn't really change much at all, then the gpu is fine, but the cpu is capped at maximum fps.

I get 300fps average running around Office map in CSGO, ultra or low, so my gpu isn't what's setting that limit, or bogging it down. The cpu can only output 300fps.

LoL, and many other online games are constantly updated. Your motherboard chipset drivers aren't. That'd be the first place I'd look, mobo website, and install any and all last updated drivers. Especially audio and Lan, but include USB, Sata, etc.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I see,
So the problems are my power supply and my ram, mostly the power supply since it isnt strong enough for my parts?
Hard Drive seems perfect
I do a malwarebytes scan once a week, usually get no threats, i also do a cc cleaner scan and clean out everything about once a week
So my best choice for now would be replacing the power supply and that would give me much better performance, that is the performance i want out of my rig?
Ok. So your PC is uhh, 'clean', and the background usage is likely browser and windows tasks, etc. Replacing the power supply would be the first thing I'd do.
Do you have a set budget? A good one can be had for under $100 - don't want to go too low, or you'll just end up with another bad psu.

Though i have 4gb of additional ram i could use from my old pc until i sell it, that would be a big boost in performance yes?
Aswell my PSU says 500W, so this may come as a stupid question but how come its 384 and not 500 as it says?
That depends on the specs of this other stick in question. Even if it turns out to be compatible with your motherboard, it probably won't get along with your other stick. If it doesn't, it'll let you know visibly, by way of BSODs, stutters, crashes, etc. A new 2 stick kit is best.
About the power supply: look in the pic you linked. See +12V1 & +12V2? Below that is the power supply's output on the 12V rail, which the bulk of your PC equipment runs off on.
That 384w is the most it can supply to your setup, but from the simple math I showed earlier, this isn't enough. PSUs degrade over time, so the actual output is a little lower than it was a few years ago - the unit's already underspecced, so this doesn't really change anything.
"The PSU can't supply enough power to the PC, but it still turns on?" Well, it's enough to turn it on and whatnot, but that doesn't mean everything's running at full speed...

Jul 29, 2019
Ok. So your PC is uhh, 'clean', and the background usage is likely browser and windows tasks, etc. Replacing the power supply would be the first thing I'd do.
Do you have a set budget? A good one can be had for under $100 - don't want to go too low, or you'll just end up with another bad psu.

That depends on the specs of this other stick in question. Even if it turns out to be compatible with your motherboard, it probably won't get along with your other stick. If it doesn't, it'll let you know visibly, by way of BSODs, stutters, crashes, etc. A new 2 stick kit is best.
About the power supply: look in the pic you linked. See +12V1 & +12V2? Below that is the power supply's output on the 12V rail, which the bulk of your PC equipment runs off on.
That 384w is the most it can supply to your setup, but from the simple math I showed earlier, this isn't enough. PSUs degrade over time, so the actual output is a little lower than it was a few years ago - the unit's already underspecced, so this doesn't really change anything.
"The PSU can't supply enough power to the PC, but it still turns on?" Well, it's enough to turn it on and whatnot, but that doesn't mean everything's running at full speed...
Im gonna be honest, i dont really have a set budget, this pc wasnt compromised like fresh out of the box, rather a PC Shop that deals with pc parts, sometimes complete pcs, and i got it for around 280 dollars, idk if i got ripped off honestly, im only 17 so this was a my money purchase and im busted now with no money, maybe later will buy one i need to get some money first.

I see, but still it wouldnt hurt to try and add that memory stick, if it works great, if it doesnt it doesnt.

Imma be honest i dont really understand the prepoistion there, so the main thing would be that even though my psu says its 500W it doesnt realisticly output that much and since its probably a bit older it would mean that that its outputting even less than that?

Also, could you review the message of the guy above you, the one about my motherboard drivers needing to be updated, etc.

Also i have to thank you for all the help, really <3

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Many psu vendors fib. White lies. A modern pc is 95% powered by 12v. It's often referred to as the major rail as its the most important, although maybe not always the largest. Your psu has upto 32A use on the 12v rail. Power = volts x amps, so 32 x 12 = 384. For most professional reviewers it'd be a 400w psu, not a 500w psu, but the 12v rail is also responsible for making the 5v too. So many times, the vendor will fib, throw in some 5v values to the 12v, just to pad the number and raise the price. 500w sounds more impressive, and more wanted than 400w for a gaming oriented sales base.

If you figure you have 380w psu, not a 500w psu, then reasons for replacement when you are pushing well over 350w usage make a lot more sense.

Jul 29, 2019
Many psu vendors fib. White lies. A modern pc is 95% powered by 12v. It's often referred to as the major rail as its the most important, although maybe not always the largest. Your psu has upto 32A use on the 12v rail. Power = volts x amps, so 32 x 12 = 384. For most professional reviewers it'd be a 400w psu, not a 500w psu, but the 12v rail is also responsible for making the 5v too. So many times, the vendor will fib, throw in some 5v values to the 12v, just to pad the number and raise the price. 500w sounds more impressive, and more wanted than 400w for a gaming oriented sales base.

If you figure you have 380w psu, not a 500w psu, then reasons for replacement when you are pushing well over 350w usage make a lot more sense.
Ahhhh i see now, thank you for the explanation, the main point is its running on 384W, probably less considering its most likely a bit older, so replacing it would most likely solve the issues im having, aswell as getting another ram stick to make it dual channel, correct?

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
for 280 you could have gotten better parts , for example a system with 2 or 3 gen i5 quadcore that almost match newer i5 cpus. the fact is it a 6 core don't help a lot since the single core performance is very bad. I wouldn't say you got ripped off but you could have gotten better parts for that price.

Jul 29, 2019
for 280 you could have gotten better parts , for example a system with 2 or 3 gen i5 quadcore that almost match newer i5 cpus. the fact is it a 6 core don't help a lot since the single core performance is very bad. I wouldn't say you got ripped off but you could have gotten better parts for that price.
The problem is that im from serbia, and a small village/town from that, so if im being completely honest i had no better options and my old pc was just driving me insane i had to get rid of it

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
Last edited: