[SOLVED] Games seemingly knock out wifi?

Jun 2, 2020
This is quite a maddening problem that I just can't figure out. Bit of backstory:

This started happening about two weeks ago. I'll use Ghost Recon: Breakpoint as the example since that's what I've been trying to play when this happens the last few days. I open it up, it tries to connect to the server, stalls and then my wifi goes out on my laptop. As soon as I exit the game, it either connects on it's own or I have to just reconnect it myself. I don't have to reset the modem/router and the rest of the house doesn't lose connection. It's just my laptop. And then until I reboot my laptop, the wifi isn't as strong. For example, after a reboot, my speeds are about 250-300mbps down. If I launch Breakpoint and go through this disaster, after closing it down and reconnecting, my speed is about 50mbps.

I'm using an MSI GS65 that is only about 6-7 months old. It's never had a problem running games, even on high/ultra settings or any other problems really. Specs:

Intel i7-9750
32 gigs of RAM
GeForce RTX 2060
Windows 10 64 bit

I'm running a Netgear CM700 and the TP-Link Deco M9 Plus with up to date firmware.

I've tried command prompts:
  • netsh winsock reset catalog
  • netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
  • netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
  • netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
  • netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
I unchecked "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under wireless properties. Triple checked my firewall, disabled antivirus. I tried a different modem/router combo.

A little while ago, I turned off the 5ghz band on the Deco and tried again. This time it worked, but it seems when I do that, the rest of the house suffers wifi problems, which doesn't make sense to me. Unfortunately with the Deco, you can't connect to either 2.4 OR 5ghz individually yet (they say it's coming soon...), so the only option is turn them off individually altogether. Even when this did work, my wifi speed dropped dramatically until a reboot.

I'm incredibly stumped on this one. One other thing to note is that my connection status changes randomly when it happens. Sometimes it disconnects entirely, sometimes it says "connected, no internet", sometimes it says "no internet, secured." I can't tell if this is a router issue, a wireless card issue, both or something else entirely.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm happy to try just about anything at this point, because nothing I'm doing currently is making a difference.

Quick edit I should add that when plugging in an ethernet cable, there are no issues. But unfortunately I don't always have the means to do that.

Last edited:
Solution
try disabling game mode and also turn focus assist on on windows 10... change the power settings to balanced and also disable antivirus software if u have any for the time being and enable windows defender...
And did this started happening after the latest windows update?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Possibly added device producing interference between you and router or maybe antennas need slight adjustment.

An powered wall socket Wifi extender plugged somewhere to bridge the gap can help strengthen the signal. Wouldn't be because of games, it's just a weak signal at times causing games requiring an internet connection to disconnect.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020
Hey, thanks for the reply. I tried an extender and it made no difference. There are 3 Deco units in the house which basically serve the same purpose but I figured I would try it anyway, and no luck. I'm pretty close to the router as it is and my signal seems fine. The wifi doesn't seem to drop any other time unless I'm playing a game also. 🤷‍♂️

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What else could cause internet to drop during games, maybe firewall programs? Anything of this nature affecting wireless.

One way to be sure it's not a signal problem is set the comp right next to the router if possible.

Jun 3, 2020
I have exactly the same problem as our friend here, with exactly the same laptop. Here is some extra information that I have discovered and that might help someone to give us a solution:

• WiFi drops as soon as I start a demanding game. It comes back milliseconds after I quit the game.
• Everything works perfectly with an Ethernet cable.
• When playing less demanding games, the connection is perfect.
• If I reboot the router, it works perfectly while gaming during 5 minutes. Then it disconnects again, until I close the game.

• This only happens when the laptop is plugged in! If I use it with the battery, the game runs worse, the fans don't rev up and the WiFi never stops working.
• As soon as I plug it in again mid game, bam! WiFi lost. Unplug it: It's back! So this means it's probably a power/heat issue?

• Weirdest thing of all: When I'm at my girlfriend's, I do not have this problem, no matter if I am using the battery or connected to the power supply. That suggests the problem is my router?

It's very strange. Hopefully someone can help! Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020
Yeah, that's pretty much my exact situation. I'm going to have to check and see if it happens on battery power and see if I can try it on a different connection. The latter may be more difficult for me to check right now due to quarantine and whatnot.

try disabling game mode and also turn focus assist on on windows 10... change the power settings to balanced and also disable antivirus software if u have any for the time being and enable windows defender...
And did this started happening after the latest windows update?

Solution