Games shutting down while playing!

ankit_25

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Hi guys, while playing games like Crysis 3, Hitman Absolution, Devil May Cry, etc. my game shuts down either the error reads as: grpahics card has stoped working or "close the program". I have all my drivers updated. I even have games where the screen color turns red and green, i don't know exactly what that is but when i go to my desktop and get back to my game the screen color turns normal.
My specs are:
MSI GTX 560ti HAWK
Intel core i7-3770 @3.40GHz
4GB DDR3 RAM
600 watts Crosair PSU
Any help would be appreciated.

EzioAs

Distinguished

Woah, that's not good advice at all. Telling someone straight off the bat to buy a new card? Have you ever considered that OP might not have the funds right now for a new card and/or is still satisfied with the performance of a GTX560ti?

@ankit_25

First, check the power cables (2x6pin) if they are plugged in correctly into the card. Might be good to resit the card as well in the meantime. Then, try to monitor your GPU usage, temps (use MSI afterburner or HWiNFO). Check to see whether you have an overheat issue or is it something else.

You can also check other forums or anywhere else about issues on your current drivers and cards. Who knows, some of them may have the same problem and a solution to it.

This type of problem is almost always related to overheating. As EzioAs suggested, grab a program that reports GPU temps and see how hot the video card is getting.

If overheating is the cause, you can try adding some fans to the case or rearranging the layout/cables to try to get the video card more airflow. If the computer is more than about 6 months old or the room has a lot of dust, get a can of compressed air and blast it into the video card's fans (while the computer is off and the case is open). If you see a big plume of dust appear, that was probably inhibiting the card's cooling.

Another thing you can try in lieu of replacing the card is to underclock it. Yeah, yeah, you don't want to lose performance. But if the choice is between a game which runs slower vs. a game which doesn't run at all vs. spending a couple hundred bucks for a new video card, slower may be the best option.

I doubt it's the power cables. I used a 560ti in a client's build and accidentally didn't plug one of the two 6-pins in fully. The card still worked, just the framerates were much lower. Apparently nVidia has circuitry built into the card to automatically throttle down its performance if it's not getting enough power to run at full speed.