[SOLVED] Games slow to launch 30 minutes after computer boot

May 21, 2020
I recently built a computer and everything runs perfectly except for the fact that games are slow to launch about 30 minutes after the computer first boots up. I tried refreshing windows thinking it may be an issue with the registry and closing all programs I could possibly close. There is plenty of RAM available to use, no thermal issues and there is nothing using the CPU when I first attempt to open the games.

The behavior is the same for most games, it will first open the window then CPU usage will drop to 0% and it will stop using anymore RAM and freeze at whatever was at for about 20-30 seconds (in one example the memory will stop at 14.8 MB) while it stops responding. After all that it starts behaving perfectly normally and load and run fine.

My computer:
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming PRO Carbon AC LGA1151
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700KF
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super
RAM: Corsair LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

Anyone have any idea what could possibly be going on here or how to fix it?

What BIOS version are you currently running?

What is the EXACT model of your memory kit?

What is your EXACT power supply model?

What CPU cooler are you using and have you monitored your CPU and GPU temps using HWinfo to determine if this is a thermal issue, because it sure as heck sounds like it is.

What is your case model, how many case fans, WHAT case fans, where are they installed and in exactly what orientation (intake or exhaust) is each fan location configured for?

Monitoring software

HWmonitor, Open hardware monitor, Realtemp, Speccy, Speedfan, Windows utilities, CPU-Z, NZXT CAM and most of the bundled motherboard utilities are often not the best choice as they are not always accurate. Some are actually grossly inaccurate, especially with certain chipsets or specific sensors that for whatever reason they tend to not like or work well with. I've found HWinfo or CoreTemp to be the MOST accurate with the broadest range of chipsets and sensors. They are also almost religiously kept up to date.

CoreTemp is great for just CPU thermals including core temps or distance to TJmax on older AMD platforms.

HWinfo is great for pretty much EVERYTHING, including CPU thermals, core loads, core temps, package temps, GPU sensors, HDD and SSD sensors, motherboard chipset and VRM sensor, all of it. When starting HWinfo after installation, always check the box next to "sensors only" and de-select the box next to "summary".

Run HWinfo and look at system voltages and other sensor readings.

Monitoring temperatures, core speeds, voltages, clock ratios and other reported sensor data can often help to pick out an issue right off the bat. HWinfo is a good way to get that data and in my experience tends to be more accurate than some of the other utilities available. CPU-Z, GPU-Z and Core Temp all have their uses but HWinfo tends to have it all laid out in a more convenient fashion so you can usually see what one sensor is reporting while looking at another instead of having to flip through various tabs that have specific groupings, plus, it is extremely rare for HWinfo to not report the correct sensor values under the correct sensor listings, or misreport other information. Utilities like HWmonitor, Openhardware monitor and Speccy, tend to COMMONLY misreport sensor data, or not report it at all.

After installation, run the utility and when asked, choose "sensors only". The other window options have some use but in most cases everything you need will be located in the sensors window. If you're taking screenshots to post for troubleshooting, it will most likely require taking three screenshots and scrolling down the sensors window between screenshots in order to capture them all.

It is most helpful if you can take a series of HWinfo screenshots at idle, after a cold boot to the desktop. Open HWinfo and wait for all of the Windows startup processes to complete. Usually about four or five minutes should be plenty. Take screenshots of all the HWinfo sensors.

Next, run something demanding like Prime95 (With AVX and AVX2 disabled) or Heaven benchmark. Take another set of screenshots while either of those is running so we can see what the hardware is doing while under a load.

*Download HWinfo

For temperature monitoring only, I feel Core Temp is the most accurate and also offers a quick visual reference for core speed, load and CPU voltage:

*Download Core Temp

Ryzen master for Zen or newer AMD CPUs, or Overdrive for older Pre-Ryzen platforms (AM3/AM3+/FM2/FM2+)

For monitoring on AMD Ryzen and Threadripper platforms including Zen or newer architectures, it is recommended that you use Ryzen master if for no other reason than because any updates or changes to monitoring requirements are more likely to be implemented sooner, and properly, than with other monitoring utilities. Core Temp and HWinfo are still good, with this platform, but when changes to CPU micro code or other BIOS modifications occur, or there are driver or power plan changes, it sometimes takes a while before those get implemented by 3rd party utilities, while Ryzen master, being a direct AMD product, generally gets updated immediately. Since it is also specific to the hardware in question, it can be more accurately and specifically developed without any requirement for inclusion of other architectures which won't be compatible in any case. You wouldn't use a hammer to drive a wood screw in (At least I hope not) and this is very much the same, being the right tool for the job at hand.

As far as the older AMD FX AM3+ platforms including Bulldozer and Piledriver families go, there are only two real options here. You can use Core Temp, but you will need to click on the Options menu, click Settings, click Advanced and put a check mark next to the setting that says "Show Distance to TJmax in temperature fields" and then save settings and exit the options menu system. This may or may not work for every FX platform, so using AMD Overdrive is the specific, again, right tool for the job, and recommended monitoring solution for this architecture. Since these FX platforms use "Thermal margins" rather than an actual "core/package" temp type thermal monitoring implementation, monitoring as you would with older or newer AMD platforms, or any Intel platform, won't work properly.

For more information about this, please visit here for an in depth explanation of AMD thermal margin monitoring.

Understanding AMD thermal margins for Pre-Ryzen processors

*Download Ryzen Master

*Download AMD Overdrive

Also, posting screenshots, when requested, is helpful so WE can see what is going on as well and you can learn how to do that here:

How to post images on Tom's hardware forums

May 21, 2020
Most recent bios version from manufacturer
Exact model of memory kit is CMK32GX4M2B3200C16
PSU is Seasonic Focus GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold

Using HWinfo,
CPU is running at about 40C
GPU is running at 55C
SSD 35C
System at 34C
Picture: View: https://imgur.com/rqUNY6M

AIO is the EVGA CLC 280mm (400-HY-CL28-V1 )

Case is Lian Li PC-O11DW 011 Dynamic, 3 intake on side, 3 intake on bottom, 2 fan AIO radiator mounted on top as exhaust

Last edited:
I know you did a "refresh" of Windows, but was that refresh a refresh of an OS installation that had been in use on a previous system, with different hardware, or did you do a new, CLEAN install of Windows, after building this system? 100% clean install from scratch, with all drives disconnected except the drive you were installing Windows on?

Installed all drivers from the motherboard product page for chipset driver, audio driver and network adapters?

Last edited:
May 21, 2020
It was actually a full reset (my bad). It was a fresh install of windows 10 using windows installation media all from scratch, it only had one drive in the system at the time.

Another interesting thing to note after messing around for a while. It seems if I keep a load on the CPU/GPU it prevents the issue from occurring? I opened a 3D animation program and kept that open for an hour and the games would open fast during that time period, then after closing the program approximately 30 minutes later the issue popped up again. Though, I can't seem to get rid of it using the same process. It will take a bit more testing to see if this was just a one time thing.

Could something be getting stuck in some weird power saving mode? To me it seems like the CPU isn't immediately picking up the process due to it going from 1.5% utilization to 0% then after a long delay to 16% or whatever the program needs, along with the low memory usage during that time frame.

May 21, 2020
I tried updating the BIOS again to make sure, and it looks like I was missing one driver which was the Intel Management Engine driver. I'll see if that makes a difference after an hour or two.

May 21, 2020
Seems the Intel Management Engine driver fixed it, the issue seems to be gone, and things may even load faster now. Thanks for the help, and hopefully the issue doesn't pop up again!

The IME driver shouldn't have anything to do with that. That is for a completely not-user related purpose. But fixed is fixed so if putting peanut butter on your finger after you smashed it with the hammer stops it from hurting, put peanut butter on it I say. LOL.