Games/Software Switching back to desktop!! HELP!

Hi Guys! I have a p4 2ghz compaq with all current XP updates complete
(including sp2). Here is my problem. While trying to play anything, after
about 2 minutes the system switches back to the desktop. It is as if a ghost
hits the windows button on my keyboard. I can't figure out what is wrong.
This even appears to happen while doing other stuff too. For example, if I am
on the net and I go to the address bar in I.E. , after typeing a few
characters I look up and all of a sudden nothing I type is being accepted
anymore. I have to physically go to the bar with my mouse and re-click
(select) the address bar and type all over again. Are these two issues
related?

Anyway.. I have uninstalled and re-installed SP2 hoping that may be the
issue, but no help at all. I also checked all my hardware settings and
everything seems fine. Coiuld this be related to my video card? I made sure
that all my drivers are up to date. Any help anyone could provide would be
very appreciated.

Thanks.
Tony

Hi ssjTiamat,

Here are some solutions (and workarounds) to deal with the problem where games minimize to the Task Bar.

1. Install and/or play the game using an administrator account.

2. Keyboard software has been known to cause this problem. One player
posted that by un-installing their Trust Silverline Direct Access keyboard
software, all their games worked again without minimizing to the Task Bar.

3. Norton's AntiVirus (Internet Security) can cause the problem as well. The
workaround is to disable the program. To do so, right click it's Tray icon.
One person wrote: "I just went to the Norton Anti-virus options, and turned
off the Liveupdate auto update option. It worked like a charm for me."

4. One person wrote: "I finally found that if I open the command line, cd to
the directory, then type the program name, it works!!!"

5. Yet another workaround is to click the screen after you launch the game.

If the problem persists, please try these additional troubleshooting steps. :)

The most common causes for that problem can be solved with
these few steps. If the problem persists after you've tried these,
please post back and we'll try some more solutions. Good luck! :)

A. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

B. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com Afterwards
Download & Run Spybot from: http://security.kolla.de to find any
Trojans, Adware, or Spyware which could clog up your system.

C. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
/ Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.

D. Go to the Windows Update site for everything under Critical and
Recommended: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com Some games
require a patch: http://www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a

E. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
Checklist of Solutions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"ssjTiamat" <ssjTiamat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F04196E-7F08-4282-827A-57DEB6B9DABB@microsoft.com...
| Hi Guys! I have a p4 2ghz compaq with all current XP updates complete
| (including sp2). Here is my problem. While trying to play anything, after
| about 2 minutes the system switches back to the desktop. It is as if a ghost
| hits the windows button on my keyboard. I can't figure out what is wrong.
| This even appears to happen while doing other stuff too. For example, if I am
| on the net and I go to the address bar in I.E. , after typeing a few
| characters I look up and all of a sudden nothing I type is being accepted
| anymore. I have to physically go to the bar with my mouse and re-click
| (select) the address bar and type all over again. Are these two issues
| related?
|
| Anyway.. I have uninstalled and re-installed SP2 hoping that may be the
| issue, but no help at all. I also checked all my hardware settings and
| everything seems fine. Coiuld this be related to my video card? I made sure
| that all my drivers are up to date. Any help anyone could provide would be
| very appreciated.
|
| Thanks.
| Tony

RGGDaFreak

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Hello guys i have the same issue on win7pro64bit when im ingame(arma2 and eve experienced)it switches me to desktop but the icon stays and i can quick switch back but thats anyway annoying so seems forcing every game to run on like say my example..1920x1080 fixes it in eve f.e.:u have fixed window 1920x1080 then it seems not automatically switch u back anymore to desktop out of not checking aotpmatically resolution bla.....i run a samsung led - tv which switches somehow then but not sure if the tv or the game is causing it....

plz pm me me on markus_griessmeier@gmx.at if that fixes it

peace