CPU: I7 8700k (currently stock clocks)
GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 1080TI
PSU: Corsair RMX650
RAM: 2x 8GB DDR4 2666 Vengeance LPX
SSD: 512GB SSUNG M.2 NVME 960 PRO
HDD: 2TB Seagate ST2000DM006 SATA3
Mainboard: ASUS STRIX Z370-F GAMING

Hi,

About a month ago I Reinstalled windows on my PC because i didn't have access to the 'remove auto volume limiting' feature in sound properties for my new speakers. The reinstall solved this but since then games have been freezing and sound clipping for a few seconds every few hours when i play them. I don't know if it is because of the updated drivers (which are all up to date) or updated bios i did at the time, or some component failing, or something else. I have tried a number of stress tests including 3dmark, Aida and memtest, i've looked at my SSD and HDD health and all were fine. I sent it off to the PC builders (Scan) and they tried many tests to replicate the problem but couldn't get it to occur. They looked in the bios and said it was running a little hot/unstable and changed the overclock and reapplied thermal paste/reseated the cpu and cooler and marked the problem as solved. The freeze occurred again with both their new overclock and the OC subsequently turned off and another update to the bios which was released a couple of days ago. I mostly play World of Tanks and World of Warships (although i can't remember if it has occurred in the Witcher 3 also - though Scan did run it on max settings for a while and encountered no problem).

Any advice on what i can do to pinpoint the problem?

Thanks,

Alan

CPU: I7 8700k (currently stock clocks)
GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 1080TI
PSU: Corsair RMX650
RAM: 2x 8GB DDR4 2666 Vengeance LPX
SSD: 512GB SSUNG M.2 NVME 960 PRO
HDD: 2TB Seagate ST2000DM006 SATA3
Mainboard: ASUS STRIX Z370-F GAMING

Hi,

About a month ago I Reinstalled windows on my PC because i didn't have access to the 'remove auto volume limiting' feature in sound properties for my new speakers. The reinstall solved this but since then games have been freezing and sound clipping for a few seconds every few hours when i play them. I don't know if it is because of the updated drivers (which are all up to date) or updated bios i did at the time, or some component failing, or something else. I have tried a number of stress tests including 3dmark, Aida and memtest, i've looked at my SSD and HDD health and all were fine. I sent it off to the PC builders (Scan) and they tried many tests to replicate the problem but couldn't get it to occur. They looked in the bios and said it was running a little hot/unstable and changed the overclock and reapplied thermal paste/reseated the cpu and cooler and marked the problem as solved. The freeze occurred again with both their new overclock and the OC subsequently turned off and another update to the bios which was released a couple of days ago. I mostly play World of Tanks and World of Warships (although i can't remember if it has occurred in the Witcher 3 also - though Scan did run it on max settings for a while and encountered no problem).

Any advice on what i can do to pinpoint the problem?

Thanks,

Alan
I have the same Processor siting on an ASUS Strix Z390-E Gaming MOBO. I have on game that will freeze during play, Fallout 3 that I decided to revisit. Initially it wouldn't play. I would click on it and it would start then crash back to desktop. The game was in my Steam Library. I went over to GoG and got it there and It would play, but would freeze up at bad time or when entering a room or something. In your case, if your games are on Steam or another Client. Try Uninstalling and reinstalling them. They are saved so should be an issue. It by chance you are asked if you want to remove the saved games just click NO.