Question Games started crashing after new gpu install

sefa78

Honorable
Apr 5, 2015
Okay so I bought a gpu second hand, put it in my pc and then stress tested it in furmark and saw no errors or crashes. But in most games I play it just crashed to desktop everytime after playing for like 30 minutes no error codes no nothing. It's a msi gtx 1080ti gaming X model, It's not overheating I'm sure about that. If anyone knows any possible solutions to my problem pls tell me.

PC Specs are

msi gtx 1080ti gaming X
Amd ryzen 5 1600 (little overclocked)
2x8gb Gskill ripjawsV 3200mhz
PSU: Xigmatek Calibre XCP-A600 600W 80 Plus
Asus b350-f Strix gaming motherboard

DSzymborski

Titan
There could be a GPU issue, but that's a frighteningly low quality PSU to be using on a build with a 1080 Ti. It's ancient and not even really a 600W PSU; there's only 432W available of +12V power. Nor is it even a good 432W power supply, but a junky old Andyson platform from more than a decade ago, full of bottom-tier JunFu capacitors. The 400W is on the same platform and actually literally blew up in one prominent review.

First thing to do is to get a proper power supply in there. Your 1080 Ti should never have been even connected to this one.

Reactions: iMatty

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Well, after looking at your power supply i would say that your issue is there.
Thats a very crappy power supply if you ask me, you need something like seasonic focus gold. or evga g2 supernova.
Something very high quality.

sefa78

Honorable
Apr 5, 2015
There could be a GPU issue, but that's a frighteningly low quality PSU to be using on a build with a 1080 Ti. It's ancient and not even really a 600W PSU; there's only 432W available of +12V power. Nor is it even a good 432W power supply, but a junky old Andyson platform from more than a decade ago, full of bottom-tier JunFu capacitors. The 400W is on the same platform and actually literally blew up in one prominent review.

First thing to do is to get a proper power supply in there. Your 1080 Ti should never have been even connected to this one.
That's what i think the problem is as well but i have to be sure because i don't have much money to spend after getting the gpu

DSzymborski

Titan
okay so i couldn't buy any of the recommended PSU's so i got a Cougar STX 700w 80plus, i'm guessing this is going to be enough

It's not a particularly good power supply, but it's way less terrible than your old one. hec tends towards mediocrity and 85 degree Teapo caps aren't that exciting, but at least you're not wondering if they were sitting in a dusty corner of a warehouse in Guangdong for a decade.

sefa78

Honorable
Apr 5, 2015
okay so after installing the PSU my games arent crashing but im getting black screens, i hadn't been getting them for around 2 days but sometimes they just start happening i don't know what else to do, could i be because the card is getting hot or could the display port cable have something to do with it as well, it's a cheap displayport cable i got with my monitor.

Last edited:

sefa78

Honorable
Apr 5, 2015
and i just realized it stops for a while when i pull the display port cable and put it back in. When i said i get black screens i mean the monitor doesnt get a signal from the gpu, i get a message that says "DP" on my screen

Last edited: