Games started throwing artifacts and freezing a lot, cant seem to find a cause

phemark

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Hi,
I have 1080gtx, 6700k, 16gb ram. Up until a week or so ago every game ran fine. Then, Fortnite started stuttering a bit. And today, even Overwatch started freezing heavily and lots of video artifacts appeared.

Games run a bit better straight after restart. And GPU doesnt get hotter than 70c.

I reinstalled drivers, updated bios, and removed overclock from the card.

What else I can do? Could it be software issue? Or hardware? (GPU is only months old...)

Thanks

Solution
Solved it!
Did more reinstalls and testing, but the culprit was.... f----ng Nvidia Shadowplay HIGHLIGHTS. Disabled them, and no more freezing. aaaaaaa took me so long to find this.
But the thing is, is that they were working fine a few weeks ago, saving my highlights just fine. Something mustve changed.

But anyway, it is sorted now, thanks everyone:)

jr9

Estimable
If DDU in safe mode + fresh drivers doesn't help I'd try the card on another machine. Either the drivers are corrupted or the card needs to be RMA'd. If it artifacts in BIOS settings then it's probably the card failing. New cards sometimes need to be sent back.

phemark

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I did reinstall the drivers, but will do that again tomorrow using DDU.
And how to check if it artifacts in BIOS settings?

What I also noticed, that when the game is freezing, GPU usage keeps droping to 0% at that moment. That happens every 2-3 seconds for about 0.1sec. When that happens, it doesnt artifact, just whole PC freezes for 0.1sec repeatedly (if the game is in the background, whole PC freezes anyway).

jr9

Estimable
You would go into BIOS settings and see if there is any artifacting there.

Try DDU first and go from there. When you install the fresh new drivers in normal Windows make sure to only install the driver and Physx. Leave everything else like the HD Audio and Geforce Experience unselected.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

I am having the same exact problem with fortnite, someone said maybe Fortnite is doing that because of BattleEye just being installed. Dont know, but it also does it on league, and it didn't do it for me like a few weeks ago but it just started. Let me know if what you're doing to the drives helps because I can't seem to crack what it is.

I even reset my whole PC, but that didn't help. The moderator Rouge Leader told me it could be internet lag so I would make sure everything with your internet is running smoothly, though it will not be the problem in your case.

You could also run 3dmark, run Timespy and make sure everything goes well.

Let me know what you find, I'll probably do the same.

phemark

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
yes, for me it started with Fortnite BR (fortnite STW was running just fine). So I thought that it was Fortnite's fault. But yesterday, overwatch started showing similar symptoms, so thought maybe it is something else that is doing this... strange..
will update my result tomorrow.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

I think mine is hard drive problems as well, I am going to buy a new one today. But let me know how it goes for you, I think like I said running Time Spy and FireStrike would be good just to make sure all of the key components in your computer are doing fine. Thats what I did and everything ran well, so then it must be something else. What was he talking about DDU? Whats that?

phemark

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Solved it!
Did more reinstalls and testing, but the culprit was.... f----ng Nvidia Shadowplay HIGHLIGHTS. Disabled them, and no more freezing. aaaaaaa took me so long to find this.
But the thing is, is that they were working fine a few weeks ago, saving my highlights just fine. Something mustve changed.

But anyway, it is sorted now, thanks everyone:)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS