Games stuck at 30fps

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Games like cryostasis and just cause 2 don't seem to go past 30fps.

Is this because they are poor console porrts? I don't see why I can't get more than 30fps.

I'm running the games on 1920x1080 with settings on max. Anti Aliasing doesn't really seem to make a difference in frames.

I'm using a phenom II x4 955@3.7ghz
GTX 470
2x2 DDR3 1333mhz
600watt psu.

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Okay guys I turned off vsync in both games. In cryostasis that improved my frames by 10fps. I'm getting 30-40fps now.

In Just cause 2 it didn't change anything. I'm still floating 20-35fps.

Do you guys think it's just poor console porting causing this? I don't believe it's my system causing it because my hardware is pretty up to date.

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Okay turned off bokeh effect, turned AA to 4x from 8x, changed SSAO from high to medium. So I'm getting 25-45fps now. The max fps is higher, but minimum still hits 25.

Btw, I'm running my GTX470 on 700/1400/1848 and My 955BE is at 3.7ghz.

azconnie

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Well, I kinda hate to be a stick in the mud, but television only runs at 30fps, and thats enough that you have no stuttering. If you are 30FPS max, then thats a problem, but if you get 30 FPS requardless of whats going on I fail to see a problem. As far as I am concerned, if you stay in the 30-40 range at all times your fine, and the additional FPSs are just bragging for people who... I better not finish that sentence.

But yeah, if you can set off 10+ big explosions at once, and hold 30FPS, your fine, and I wouldn't worry about it.

DPyro

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Did you try turning off desktop composition? (Fancy Windows Aero effects)

TVs run at 60fps AFAIK, and he never said he was running it on a TV.

azconnie

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009

NTSC and ATSC (standard and high def american television signals respetivly) operate at ~30 FPS. If its good enough to watch Drag racing in 1080, its good enough for any type of gameplay. In fact, your eyes can't process data above 30 FPS (paitiens in a study showed no reaction to single frame subliminal messages at 60 FPS, and as such did not have sufficent time process the image.)

My example of the TV was as a standard of viewing for 70 years, in that time I have heard no complaints about studdering inamge not related to "ghosting" or similar effects. 30 FPS is not a problem.

azconnie

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009

That could be your eye catching a micro studder, and your perception magnifying it. Thats how the sublimanl messaging works is youe eye catches, and processes an anomoly before your brain is made aware. The result is a "file" being logged to memory without your knowledge. Hence subliminal advertising being illegal. Your eye (and I asy your eye because the optic nerve is so dense many doctors concider it a part of the brain) processes images your brain may or may not be fast enough for you to recognise.

All in all this is a question of perpectives and specic nurological conditions, for example, my mother can't tell the difference between 480I and 1080P. I on the otherhand can spot even the best CG image as fake with an 80% success rate. We have different typoes of color blindness. I also have a freind who can play games effectivly at 15FPS and he's not color blind at all. The brain is a facinating organ, especiall the sensory lobes, that I place second only behing higher cognative functions.

Sorry, boring you with medical stuff.

Edit.* you know what, just for fun. My profile picture is a picture of me taken in a dark room with a flash light. On the left side of my face, I see the light as forming a bird like figure. Mom says the shadows look like a man in a hood holding a package. What do you see?

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Okay so Im not running it on a tv. Using a 1920x1080 2ms 27" monitor.

I'm getting on average 30fps. It can get up to 45, but it can also hit 20. I usually get 20 when I run into an area with a lot of flowers and grass surrounding me. When I'm out in the open road it gets up to 30-45. I think the new nvidia beta drives that came out gave me a few more FPS.

azconnie

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
As I sad before, The whole mentoning of the TV thing was to give a concrete example of why 30FPS is enough. If you are bouncing between 20 and 45 FPS (and grass kills your frames) it sounds like a bottle neck problem. Are you running on PCIe 1.x, and what is your RAM speed? Try reducing your resolution to 800x600 @ min settings. If your FPS stays the same you have either a CPU, or bus related bottleneck.

ImperialAlex

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
If you tried reinstalling drivers, are running the games as administrator and have vsync off, your best bet is to set everything to low in the game and see what your frame rate does.
If it's still around 30fps even with lowest graphics settings, something is seriously wrong on your end ;-)
I played the Just Cause 2 demo on a laptop with a mobility FireGL V5700 and got myself some 20fps..so a GTX470 shouldn't be giving you 30fps only.

If you do get good frame rates on lowest settings, you have to start turning up features one-by-one in the game, checking each time what sort of performance hit you get.

Ideally, there will be a point where you switch something on and your fps start dropping again.
In the worst case, it might take dozens of combinations and different driver settings :-/

I also recommend you go and check out the game forums:
Especially with console ports, there can often be some problem in the game's coding that can be resolved by workarounds (driver downgrade, obscure combinations that have to be avoided, etc)

Alex
PS: At the fps issue:
24 frames per second are enough to convince the brain that one is seeing motion - however, that only works if something was recorded and the recording medium was exposed for 1/24th of a second...
Because that means that each of the 24 frames will have "motion blur" (go through a movie frame by frame)

If you however take 24 frames from a pc game, it will be 24 "perfect" images of the moment that each frame was calculated at.
Therefore there is no motion blur (the "motion blur" in games is something completely different again and has little to do with real motion blur when filming a movie*)

That means that the brain needs a lot more images per second to be fooled into seeing fluid motion, otherwise the changes between two frames are too extreme.

Then the monitor enters the equation: Most LCD's refresh 60 times a second, some 80times, some even 120times.

Now, what Vsync does is basically "wait" for the LCD to refresh before rendering another frame (that's not really correct, but gets the idea across)

However, that still shouldn't put you at 30fps.

*real motion blur in games actually requires the engine to calculate several "perfect" frames and then compile them together into one "blurred" frame

azconnie

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Alex
PS: At the fps issue:
24 frames per second are enough to convince the brain that one is seeing motion - however, that only works if something was recorded and the recording medium was exposed for 1/24th of a second...
Because that means that each of the 24 frames will have "motion blur" (go through a movie frame by frame)

If you however take 24 frames from a pc game, it will be 24 "perfect" images of the moment that each frame was calculated at.
Therefore there is no motion blur (the "motion blur" in games is something completely different again and has little to do with real motion blur when filming a movie*)

That means that the brain needs a lot more images per second to be fooled into seeing fluid motion, otherwise the changes between two frames are too extreme.

Then the monitor enters the equation: Most LCD's refresh 60 times a second, some 80times, some even 120times.

Now, what Vsync does is basically "wait" for the LCD to refresh before rendering another frame (that's not really correct, but gets the idea across)

However, that still shouldn't put you at 30fps.

*real motion blur in games actually requires the engine to calculate several "perfect" frames and then compile them together into one "blurred" frame[/quotemsg]

That makes sense. I spent all that time knit picking about the adequcy of 30 FPS, and forgot about the motion blur phenominon. That would explain the reason digital broadcasts just don't look right to me. Anyway, like I said I was only quasi off topic.