[SOLVED] Games stutter on GTX 1080 OC + I9 8950Hk + 32GB RAM 2666mhz

May 30, 2020
Hi everyone,

I got the Alienware 17R5 with the GTX 1080 OC and i9 8950HK + 32GB RAM running at 2666mhz. I got really bad stuttering in games were my fps will drop below 60 and then goes back up to 100+. I'm using a 1440p screen with G-SYNC.
It's driving me crazy that with these specs I can't even run those games like BFV, RE2,Jedi: Fallen Order without FPS drops.
When I'm playing PUBG I'm getting stable 100+ FPS on Ultra. So what's happening with BFV etc?

I also tested the laptop in BIOS diagnostics from Alienware, and there was nothing wrong. All in the green. To add more info, I did clean my CPU fans and added new thermal paste.

I thank everyone in advance for joining the conversation. Have a good day!

Solution
Thats insane setup for laptop have to say. Never seen this cpu in action but still worth a try, download aida64 , open system stability test and select cpu + gpu, then run it for 10mins, check if there is ANY temperature throttling mentioned in the stats.

If there is use this program to undervolt , completely safe and doesnt voide warranty, its opposite of overclocking, do first -100mv undervolt and test again using intel xtu stress test and aida64.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7OdTmylZNQ

Remember also to go nvidia control panel, manage 3d settings , (open 1 game ,, if you select global settings it sets it for whole windows meaning you always run on 1080gtx) scroll to "power management...
Thats insane setup for laptop have to say. Never seen this cpu in action but still worth a try, download aida64 , open system stability test and select cpu + gpu, then run it for 10mins, check if there is ANY temperature throttling mentioned in the stats.

If there is use this program to undervolt , completely safe and doesnt voide warranty, its opposite of overclocking, do first -100mv undervolt and test again using intel xtu stress test and aida64.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7OdTmylZNQ

Remember also to go nvidia control panel, manage 3d settings , (open 1 game ,, if you select global settings it sets it for whole windows meaning you always run on 1080gtx) scroll to "power management mode " and do "prefer maximum performance" then apply.

You can also try tweaking power options in windows settings.

Solution

poorbugger

Distinguished
The temps are pretty high. How long did you run the test for? The cpu and gpu are very good but the problem with all gaming laptops is that they dont get rid of the heat easily. During gaming on games with high graphics usage such as star wars or BFV, your gpu usage will rise generating heat and combine that with your cpu usage which also generates heat, the system basically throttles itself down or else the hardware will be damaged.

May 30, 2020
The temps are pretty high. How long did you run the test for? The cpu and gpu are very good but the problem with all gaming laptops is that they dont get rid of the heat easily. During gaming on games with high graphics usage such as star wars or BFV, your gpu usage will rise generating heat and combine that with your cpu usage which also generates heat, the system basically throttles itself down or else the hardware will be damaged.

i ran the test for 10 minutes.

TRENDING THREADS