Question games stuttering in full screen mode only

Dec 6, 2022
i just built a new pc with a 4090 and 13900k and have been noticing horizontal stuttering in games when moving the camera. games run smoothly in borderless windowed though. i've tried running the game as administrator, disabling full screen optimization and installing the latest Nvidia drivers for the 4090. i've started noticing this issue more after reinstalling windows 11 (clean reset).

specs:

cpu: intel 13900k
gpu: asus tuf 4090
motherboard: z790 asus maxi hero
ram: ddr5 6000 mhz cl36

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Did you also reinstall the motherboard chipset drivers? When resetting Windows, that erases All drivers in the Windows/drivers folder, where all that stuff is kept. Right now, all its got is anything added by the nvidia drivers alone, and any windows default drivers to backup the nvidia stuff.

Dec 6, 2022
Did you also reinstall the motherboard chipset drivers? When resetting Windows, that erases All drivers in the Windows/drivers folder, where all that stuff is kept. Right now, all its got is anything added by the nvidia drivers alone, and any windows default drivers to backup the nvidia stuff.
Yes I have installed all the drivers after the reinstall. Armoury Crate says that all the drivers are installed. Latest Nvidia drivers are installed too.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fullscreen mode uses OpenGL, windows borderless uses DirectX. I'm thinking it's to do with the full screen optimizations. I'd disable those and allow the OpenGL titles to run at full frame speed, then get capped by the game engine. Or vice versa. I'm thinking it's a difference in sync catching up.