Question Games stuttering on a new ryzen build.

Nov 13, 2020
Hey, everyone. I have an irritating problem with my ryzen 5 3600 build. Almost all of my games stutter and freeze but if I reinstall my ram modules it works fine for a couple of days, and then the stutter comes back. It's so weird, I tried 2 different RAM kits (placed in A2; B2 slots ofc) like: goodram iridium 2666 mhz (oc'd to 3200, cl16) and patriot viper 4 steel (3600 mhz, cl16). Tested them in stock and oc'd, nothing changes. Even tried to update my bios from 3.20 to 3.40 and it made it even worse. There's no cpu throttling, temperature doesn't get higher than 65 °C in games. Now, I think that there's some problem with my motherboard but I'm not sure.

My whole build:
Mobo: Asrock b450 steel legend
Cpu: Ryzen 5 3600
Current RAM: Patriot viper 4 steel 3600 mhz( 16,19,19,19,38 ; voltage - 1,35)
Gpu: geforce gtx 1660 super
Psu: deepcool dq-750st
512 gb wd blue m2 nvme ssd

Nov 13, 2020
Hey there,

Are you using XMP or setting ram timings/voltage manually? Either way, if you use XMP, then try manually setting timings. If you've set them manually try XMP.

Have you an OC on the CPU/GPU? If so take them all off and run everything at stock.

Are the kits 2 x 8 gb?

I used both xmp and manual timings. With manual timings it works better. In aida64 it gets 51500 mb read speed and 68 ns latency. Kits are 2x8 GB. Tested cpu on auto, and with manual boost to 4200 mhz with the voltage of 1.3125. Gpu is in stock.

By any chance, have you recently swapped in/out the mobo/CPU, as in a new part? Given the work through's tried, I guess it could be the mobo. Is it new enough? Under warranty still?

Have you tried memtest86+ to test the ram outside of the windows environment? It's easy to do, and is worth a run to be sure. If ram gets past 4 passes, that's enough.

As a last call before RMA'ing, it could be worth a punt to re-install OS. I know that's a pain, but it's possible it's software related too.