Games stuttering when moving mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

syvmn

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
I am having a horribly frustrating problem in most of the games I'm playing. If I don't touch the mouse and move forward/backward or strafe left/right the games are smooth as a babies bottom. However, when I stand still and look around with the mouse I get this "micro stuttering". Its nothing crazy, no jerky uncontrollable movement, just a stuttering like the frame rate is 15-20. I've ran various frame rate monitors and the games are running at 50-60fps. I do however have a generic Logitech mouse. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104365&Tpk=logitech%20m100&IsVirtualParent=1

Could the mouse be the problem here?

System:
i5-3570 @ 4.4ghz
Powercolor 7870 myst edition @ 1150mhz/1550mhz
ASRock z77 extreme4 motherboard
8gb Balistix memory
128gb Samsung 840 pro SSD
Corsair TX750 PSU
Crappy old mouse

gebran bassil

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

A mouse doesn't cause micro-stuttering...

What games is this happening in?

syvmn

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Well I don't know if its "technically" micro stuttering. If I move the mouse really slowly, I would expect the game to also move slowly, instead its this slight tick-tick-tick-tick as it moves. If I grabbed someone who rarely played video games they probably wouldn't even notice it if I didn't tell them, but to me its annoying as hell. Its amazing how smooth the games are when I run forward and backward, but then the mouse movements hurt how smooth it is.
Games include:
Skyrim
Battlefield 3
Bioshock Infinite

That's all I've played so far on this system

Saturn_Technology

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
Ok, try running the processor at a more reasonable speed. You are almost 1000mhz over spec. I would say try it stock first and then slowly clock back up. There are a lot of people with the same issue as you, and they resolved it by reducing the clock speed.

Overclocking is fun and all, but you can damage the processor and or experience issues like the ones you are currently experiencing. Just because a system will run windows "stable" at a certain overclock, does not mean its working correctly.

I should put in that I run the same chip, not overclocked with an old 5850 card and I can run all of those games with no stutters and most of the graphics turned up 1080p.

Arthur Chapman
SaturnTechnology

That's either from the mouse not tracking correctly, or the graphics card not being able to handle a steady 60FPS - when you're turning, it makes a huge difference.

You by no means have to overclock to run games at good settings, no, but saying that an i5-3570k can't run at 4.4GHz is a little bit silly, especially when you consider it turbos from the start up to 3.8GHz. Most times that chip will run at 4.2GHz without even a voltage increase, so backing down to stock settings isn't really going to do much. (With sufficient cooling and a good board, a 3750k can in fact hit 5.0GHz completely stable, if it's a good chip. Pretty much none of them should have trouble with 4.4GHz and a slight voltage increase.)

That being said, it could be an unstable overclock that wasn't tested properly with stress tests, in which case that might cause issues, but I would be surprised if the issues it caused functioned like this.

Saturn_Technology

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013

Well, he is definitely having problems, so I would say that regardless of what a chip is capable on paper of doing, or capable of doing in other peoples systems, it might be the cause of his problem. For sure its the easiest thing to test next to trying a different mouse right?

Its a little bit silly not to try, actually, considering its worked for other people on this forum with the same problem...

I don't know about you, but whenever I work on anything - car, rc plane, computer so on, the most logical first step is to test the base system to see if it functions properly. This means removing or disabling any custom modifications. That would include overclocking.

Arthur Chapman
SaturnTechnology

You do have a point there, I suppose.

I have a tendency to test from most likely to least, and haven't seen an overclock (if done properly) cause issues like this, but there is something to be said for the fact that it's easy to check and see if that is the cause, just in case.

gebran bassil

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Could you first try this: set the value of "Flip Queue Size" in your graphics card settings to "1". You will have to have RadeonPro to do it. Trust me, it works.
Here is a quote from another forum regarding Skyrim: "Using RadeonPro I changed the flip queue size from default to 1. Immediately it is obvious how much of a difference this one single setting makes to the smoothness of the game. For me it was instantly noticeable how much smoother the experience was. Judge for yourselves." 90% of people think that the more you increase this value, the smoother a game gets, when in fact it's the other way around. For some reason this setting has a dramatic stuttering effect on mouse movement but not on keyboard movement.

syvmn

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
I clocked everything to stock values and I'm still having the problem. I also tried the "flip queue size" and didn't notice too much of a difference. I think will all the different settings I've tried its a little better, but I'm 90% sure its the mouse. I can almost even see it moving the curser on the desktop. I just need to plop down for a decent budget gaming mouse and decent mousepad.

Anyone have suggestions? I'm thinking the logitech g400 at the moment, open to suggestions though.

Also, does the mousepad really matter much? I have a generic belkin one with a bump on the bottom to rest your wrist on. Its a little small but I dont know if I care too much.

Saturn_Technology

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013

Maybe refresh rate? Sometimes refresh rate or "sync every frame" settings will cause this. You could try that. Were you able to try it with a different mouse?

Arthur Chapman
SaturnTechnology

Johannes Rudbeck

Honorable
May 18, 2013
Im having the exact same problem. I have a logitech revolution mouse. I dont know if its the mouse, it might be. Very annoying any help appreciated. I had this in fallout 3 -> metro last light. same problem in every game

strafing running forward no problem. turning with a turn key on keyboard I get stutters. Problem is same no matter if settings are low or high.

Only game this didnt happen in in a long time was bioshock

win7 64
8192 ram
intel core i5-2500k (3.3ghz) 4cpus
AMD radeon HD 6800

contrabardus

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
Fixed this. Took me all of a half hour to figure it out.

I was having the same jerky stuttering when I played, but only when using the mouse.

I plugged in my Xbox 360 controller and the game played smoothly with no jerking at all, but attempting to use the mouse at all made the game stutter badly as if it had a very low framerate. Moving without using the mouse was still smooth without frame stuttering.

It was the polling rate. I had mine set to 1000 and it worked great in any other game I've played without stuttering. Bioshock does not care for a high polling rate.

I went into my mouse driver and turned the polling rate down to 125 and now the game runs smoothly without jerky motions when I look with the mouse regardless of sensitivity settings.

All you should need to do is turn down the polling rate on your mouse and the problem should be fixed.

Reactions: lionlucas
Status
Not open for further replies.