games take me back to desktop

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Been playing with the new computer and now when a game is played, the game ends and goes back to the desktop. What gives?

abit IS7
P4 2.8c, 800mhz
ati radeon 9600 pro
win xp home

Nick

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
This problem is...not descriptive. How about starting with if it's all of your games, just one (if so which one), or some other combination. Also, do you get any error codes, dialogue boxes, or just your normal desktop?

As a few general rules,
A.) Make sure you have the latest drivers for your sound and video cards
B.) Make sure you have Directx 9.0a installed (or if you feel like playing with beta software, 9.0b -- you can d/l it from windows update i believe)

I'm just your average habitual smiler =D

Dirty_Ape

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2003
Probably a driver problem (video or sound) or maybe you´re running too tightly on the memory timings. What video-driver are you on, and what´s your memory timings? I assume you havn´t overclocked it yet?

---
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=profile&mode=viewprofile&internal=1&username=Dirty_Ape" target="_new"> My System </A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's what we call a program crash. It happens when you've either overclocked too far, your memory is being pushed too hard, or your power supply insn't providing stable/correct voltage.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes it does.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
Could simply be a bad game, or a possibly a console port. Console ports like Splinter Cell, GTA3, or Midnight Run can cause all kind of strange problems. What game is it?

<font color=white><b>_________________________________________________</font color=white></b>
Armadillo<font color=orange>[</font color=orange><font color=green>TcC</font color=green><font color=orange>]</font color=orange> at Lanwar and MML

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What memory are you running? Have you tried higher Cas Latency settings? Are you using the "game accelerator" in BIOS? Have you tried that at it's slowest setting?