[SOLVED] Games that use 4 cores & threads

db2517

Prominent
Dec 7, 2019
(if I opened the topic to a wrong forum, sorry, I could not see a gaming forum)

Hi all,

I am using a 7600k 4.2GHz with an MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G. The only problem is that my CPU has not much core and thread.

I want to play some new games that use 4 cores and low threads. I meant new-released games. Generally I play open world, great story with great graphic games. Do you have any suggestion about it?

Solution
Will overclocking CPU really affect FPS too much? Because, my CPU has 4 cores anyway.

Most speed with higher quality settings have to do with the video card not the CPU. Once you reach the core requirements for the game, how fast it runs is pretty much all video card based, how much depends on the game and the engine it uses. Wanting to play all games on Ultra is unrealistic with your video card and really won't matter much since almost every game now looks nice even on lower settings. Good enough is good enough. So your managing may just be playing at Medium settings, which will still look very good.
(if I opened the topic to a wrong forum, sorry, I could not see a gaming forum)

Hi all,

I am using a 7600k 4.2GHz with an MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G. The only problem is that my CPU has not much core and thread.

I want to play some new games that use 4 cores and low threads. I meant new-released games. Generally I play open world, great story with great graphic games. Do you have any suggestion about it?
You can play whatever you want,the 1060 is not going to tax your CPU enough to cause any issues,even if you get a problem in a game increasing the load on the GPU or just outright cutting off FPS at some point will fix it.

Reactions: db2517

db2517

Prominent
Dec 7, 2019
You can play whatever you want,the 1060 is not going to tax your CPU enough to cause any issues,even if you get a problem in a game increasing the load on the GPU or just outright cutting off FPS at some point will fix it.
The main problem is, I don't want to play games in any graphic setting except Ultra. I have two choices: I need to buy a new system with a Ryzen CPU and Nvidia GPU, or I need to manage for a moment. I can buy a great system with 3950X CPU and a great GPU, however I don't want to spend more money for now. Do you have any game suggestions like The Forest, SOMA, etc.?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Where do you get games from? Steam has a return policy IIRC, so you could just try out the game as soon as you buy it and if you have performance issues return it.

Can also look into overclocking your CPU if you have a Z170/Z270 motherboard. Could help in some cases.

db2517

Prominent
Dec 7, 2019
Where do you get games from? Steam has a return policy IIRC, so you could just try out the game as soon as you buy it and if you have performance issues return it.

Can also look into overclocking your CPU if you have a Z170/Z270 motherboard. Could help in some cases.
Will overclocking CPU really affect FPS too much? Because, my CPU has 4 cores anyway.

Most speed with higher quality settings have to do with the video card not the CPU. Once you reach the core requirements for the game, how fast it runs is pretty much all video card based, how much depends on the game and the engine it uses. Wanting to play all games on Ultra is unrealistic with your video card and really won't matter much since almost every game now looks nice even on lower settings. Good enough is good enough. So your managing may just be playing at Medium settings, which will still look very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
As others have said, if you're trying to play new AAA games at max settings your GPU will likely be the limiting factor, such that OCing your CPU may not get you much.

If your GPU is preventing you from getting the FPS you want, you can turn down graphics settings. If you do this, you may end up with your CPU becoming the limiting factor, in which case overclocking might help. If the CPU is still the limiting factor and you can't get satisfactory FPS, that more or less means your only option is to upgrade. For the most part it can't be solved by changing settings, as most settings don't really impact CPU usage.

In general, you want your GPU to be the limiting factor in gaming, not your CPU, as CPU bottlenecks are more likely to result in stuttering/uneven framerate.

Last edited by a moderator: