[SOLVED] Games turning into slideshows after several hours of play?

t1redmonkey

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
So I've recently built a PC but reused a couple of components from my previous PC (the PSU, 1 120mm case fan, and the HDD).

Today was the first time I really sat down and played any games on it for a length of time, though it wasn't that demanding of a game (Hitman from 2016). I did have all the settings maxed out except for shadows and was running it fine for about 3 hours (seemed like it was over 100fps). All of a sudden, it turned into a slideshow and was running at like 1-2fps, it was so bad I had to use task manager to close it down. Not immediately obvious to me why, because I had Speccy open on my other monitor at the time, and all of the component temperatures seemed fine (CPU was less than 40c, GPU was high-ish at 75c, and motherboard was below 40c as well). Utilisation of RAM/CPU/GPU was below 50% for everything as well.

I tried a few things like changing all of the in-game settings to the lowest possible settings, turning off my second monitor, restarting several times, but had the same issues every time I've tried to go back and play it tonight. Also tried a different game and that had the same problems (ran fine for a few minutes, then immediately turned into a slideshow and had to use task manager again to close it down).

The only thing I can think of is that the PSU is possibly on it's last legs since it's one of the only things I am reusing from my old PC and it's had about 8 years of solid use by this point. I have done the power wattage calculator thing as well, and it's showing at 100% load, my PC would be using 371W, and I have a 500W Corsair PSU so it should still be able to handle all of the components. I might have the wrong idea entirely though and it could be something else, any suggestions or does it sound like there is an issue with my PSU?

Oh also some of the main components I have:

Ryzen 3600
GTX 1660
Asrock B450M Pro-F
Corsair CX500 500W PSU
16GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Crucial Ballistix

Solution
Hey, thanks for the reply. Yeah I was actually. Since I posted, I've replaced the PSU with a new one and not had this issue again, although I've also been using the Xbox One controller wired instead of wireless. Is there a known issue about the XB1 controller via bluetooth causing games to slow down then?
Not really sure if it is a known issue but i've personally had issues with an XB1 controller, games would drop to single digit FPS but return to normal as soon as i switched off the controller, had no issues with wired gamepads. strange that the PSU would cause that, if it was power deliver that was the cause i'd expect the whole system to shut down when draw was exceeding supply, but if all is good and there are no other...

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
So I've recently built a PC but reused a couple of components from my previous PC (the PSU, 1 120mm case fan, and the HDD).

Today was the first time I really sat down and played any games on it for a length of time, though it wasn't that demanding of a game (Hitman from 2016). I did have all the settings maxed out except for shadows and was running it fine for about 3 hours (seemed like it was over 100fps). All of a sudden, it turned into a slideshow and was running at like 1-2fps, it was so bad I had to use task manager to close it down. Not immediately obvious to me why, because I had Speccy open on my other monitor at the time, and all of the component temperatures seemed fine (CPU was less than 40c, GPU was high-ish at 75c, and motherboard was below 40c as well). Utilisation of RAM/CPU/GPU was below 50% for everything as well.

I tried a few things like changing all of the in-game settings to the lowest possible settings, turning off my second monitor, restarting several times, but had the same issues every time I've tried to go back and play it tonight. Also tried a different game and that had the same problems (ran fine for a few minutes, then immediately turned into a slideshow and had to use task manager again to close it down).

The only thing I can think of is that the PSU is possibly on it's last legs since it's one of the only things I am reusing from my old PC and it's had about 8 years of solid use by this point. I have done the power wattage calculator thing as well, and it's showing at 100% load, my PC would be using 371W, and I have a 500W Corsair PSU so it should still be able to handle all of the components. I might have the wrong idea entirely though and it could be something else, any suggestions or does it sound like there is an issue with my PSU?

Oh also some of the main components I have:

Ryzen 3600
GTX 1660
Asrock B450M Pro-F
Corsair CX500 500W PSU
16GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Crucial Ballistix
HI, are you using any wireless controllers, eg. Xbox One controller connected through bluetooth?

t1redmonkey

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
HI, are you using any wireless controllers, eg. Xbox One controller connected through bluetooth?

Hey, thanks for the reply. Yeah I was actually. Since I posted, I've replaced the PSU with a new one and not had this issue again, although I've also been using the Xbox One controller wired instead of wireless. Is there a known issue about the XB1 controller via bluetooth causing games to slow down then?

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
Not really sure if it is a known issue but i've personally had issues with an XB1 controller, games would drop to single digit FPS but return to normal as soon as i switched off the controller, had no issues with wired gamepads. strange that the PSU would cause that, if it was power deliver that was the cause i'd expect the whole system to shut down when draw was exceeding supply, but if all is good and there are no other anomalies you should be ok, though i would monitor voltages while gaming, software monitors aren't that accurate but can give you a decent picture of how your system is behaving

Solution