Question Games under 100 fps feels laggy on 144hz monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banananana

Prominent
Aug 1, 2020
Recently I bought new 144 hz monitor and every game that doesn't run on 100+ fps feels like it's under 60 fps. I bought it because I saw that there isn't big big difference between playing games at 60 fps on 60hz or 144hz but it would be best to play at 72+ which I can. I saw that I'm not the only one with this problem. Many people said that it's because you got used to 144hz and now it feels worse on 60hz. I think that's true but I dont think it needs to be that big difference, but when I plugged in monitor it was on 60hz and I already felt lag as soon as I moved mouse. I tried to plug back in old monitor but it's the same thing. I don't know if this helps but I tried to play some games on ps4 which can run at 60 fps on this new monitor and it worked just fine. After some time with new monitor I went to my friend, he has 60hz monitor and I didn't feel big difference.

If specs help you here they are...

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
RAM: 8 (4x2)

MONITOR: AOC 24G1WG4

Aug 1, 2020
Well it sounds like FreeSync isn't enabled. I have a 144hz monitor, and anything above 70fps still feels plenty smooth for more casual and graphically intensive games.

You'd need to be using a DisplayPort cable to make it work, and then go into NVIDIA Control Panel and configure GSync.

100fps on a 144hz monitor without any sync easily looks worse than 60fps on a 60hz with Vsync enabled and no dips. Thankfully most FreeSync monitors, even non-Gsync-certified ones, work well with NVIDIA GPU's.

Reactions: Banananana

Banananana

Prominent
Aug 1, 2020
Well it sounds like FreeSync isn't enabled. I have a 144hz monitor, and anything above 70fps still feels plenty smooth for more casual and graphically intensive games.

You'd need to be using a DisplayPort cable to make it work, and then go into NVIDIA Control Panel and configure GSync.

100fps on a 144hz monitor without any sync easily looks worse than 60fps on a 60hz with Vsync enabled and no dips. Thankfully most FreeSync monitors, even non-Gsync-certified ones, work well with NVIDIA GPU's.
Unfortunately it didn't work, I honestly thought that it will, thanks for trying to help anyway. I forgot to say that it isn't same with all games, for example Mortal Kombat X is locked on 60 fps and it doesn't feel that bad, it isn't like before but I can get used to it, then I tried to play Minecraft on locked 75 fps, It feels like it's 20-30. Same thing is with Cod Warzone, 70+ fps feels like 30-40 and it is really annoying.

Reactions: vaxe
Status
Not open for further replies.