Question [SOLVED] High CPU usage when internet connected

Oct 20, 2021
Hi,

My PC has been running fine since I purchased it brand new in December 2020, no hardware issues at all. However today I launched GTA 5 (which normally runs effortlessly on the highest settings) to find that I was getting less than 5 fps. I checked my CPU usage and it was around 79% with GTA running. I have an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor and an AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT graphics card. I have tried less graphically intensive games such as CarX Drift Racing and it is the same story, around 5 fps. When I turn my WiFi adapter off, games run smoothly and my CPU temp drops. Keep in mind I'm playing these games OFFLINE. With WiFi connected my CPU usage idles at 50-60%, with WiFi disconnected it idles at 1%. Anyone know what could be the issue? Apologies in advance as I'm not massively clued up about PCs in general.

SOLUTION: Did a windows update and checked task manager to find ‘wup.exe’ using 50% CPU power. A quick google search shows this is a malware designed to mine bitcoin, managed to remove this by opening the file location and deleting all the files associated with it. Did a scan with AVG to make sure it was gone.

Many thanks

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS