Question games went from running at 144 fps to 60-70 fps

Jul 21, 2022
So i got a new pc a few months back and its been fine up until today. i was playing games as useual then was playing both conan exiles and total war warhammer 3 at the same time. which ive only ever done once before and both are pretty intensive games, then i closed conan after a while and just played warhammer and it ran fine. i closed that after a while and left for around 5 hours and now every game i try to play runs horribly im getting roughly 55-60 fps in even less demanding games when earlier today they were running at 144. conan itself is running at a horrendous 25 fps gpu usage is at 99% so thats not an issue and cpu is running at 5-30% does this sound like a hardware issue? i just updated my drivers to see if that would help and it didn't. is there some test i can do to check if its hardware or does someone know a different issue it could be? slightly worried maybe running those 2 games overheated something and fried it or something.

Specs are geforce 3070 ti 8 Gb
i7 12700kf that has a closed system liquid cooler
16 GB ddr4 3200 mhz ram
2 TB ssd
850 watt PS
Edit: noticed when loading into warhammer 3 that the game now has some sort of black flickering. the screen isnt flickering on and off but its like parts of the screen have this cloudy transparent black flickering. then in game some graphical stuff happened I've never seen like floating ice would flicker when i moved the camera.

Last edited:
Run a health/ performance check on your ssd. You could have overheated your ssd running two games at the same time. If that checks out ok, then turn off automatic downloads, use ddu uninstaller (link is in my notes) to remove the drivers completely. Then install the newest drivers for your gpu. When you go to Nvidia control panel 3d settings just turn off vsync and leave all other settings as is just for testing purposes. Then check your games to see if there is any improvement.

Jul 21, 2022
Run a health/ performance check on your ssd. You could have overheated your ssd running two games at the same time. If that checks out ok, then turn off automatic downloads, use ddu uninstaller (link is in my notes) to remove the drivers completely. Then install the newest drivers for your gpu. When you go to Nvidia control panel 3d settings just turn off vsync and leave all other settings as is just for testing purposes. Then check your games to see if there is any improvement.
sorry for the noob question but how do you do that? do i need to install a program or is it something built into windows? W11 btw
Edit saw peole say use crystaldisk info and this is what it shows.

c6JuhY.png

Last edited:
sorry for the noob question but how do you do that? do i need to install a program or is it something built into windows? W11 btw
Edit saw peole say use crystaldisk info and this is what it shows.

c6JuhY.png
Sorry I should have offered a way to check your ssd. That is fine as long as the health and speed are fine you can move on from the ssd as your problem. I would go to removing the gpu drivers as stated earlier. You can also try running sfc /scannow in windows powershell (admin) to check your windows files.

Jul 21, 2022
Sorry I should have offered a way to check your ssd. That is fine as long as the health and speed are fine you can move on from the ssd as your problem. I would go to removing the gpu drivers as stated earlier. You can also try running sfc /scannow in windows powershell (admin) to check your windows files.
i uninstalled drivers using ddu and reinstalled them with the drivers i downloaded from nvidia while offline. i removed the cmos battery left it out for like 2 mins put it back and that also didn't work. I've now reinstalled windows and am just waiting for a game to reinstall to test it. I've got boonies internet so it takes a while lol. ty for the help.

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch