GameStop 'Becoming a Technology Company'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]bsbsbsbs[/nom]This just doesn't excite me at all.[/citation][citation][nom]someguynamedmatt[/nom]I'll second that lack of excitement.[/citation]
I'll go ahead and third that. I fail to see the appeal of streaming games.

Then again I fail to see the appeal of Lady Gaga and she (literally) makes more money in two days than I make in an entire year, so what do I know.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]I'll go ahead and third that. I fail to see the appeal of streaming games.Then again I fail to see the appeal of Lady Gaga and she (literally) makes more money in two days than I make in an entire year, so what do I know.[/citation]

4TH!!!! LOL

eatfoodnow

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Appeal of streaming games:
pay $250 for a netbook and play brand new games, as opposed to buying a non-portable $750 desktop to play the same games.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]eatfoodnow[/nom]Appeal of streaming games:pay $250 for a netbook and play brand new games, as opposed to buying a non-portable $750 desktop to play the same games.[/citation]
At half the speed or less, requires a good broadband internet connection (as it is supplying the graphics not just info on players as multi-player games do), dependent on their service (if it's good, it isn't [demand effectively creates a DDoS attack]; can be shut down at any time). And more.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]eatfoodnow[/nom]Appeal of streaming games:pay $250 for a netbook and play brand new games, as opposed to buying a non-portable $750 desktop to play the same games.[/citation]

well you whont save to much money its a console game so not to much power gain but you will be able to play console games on your pc. wii is not in the list i cant unders tand why oh wait dolphine, owell i actualy like the gapic in wii games on pc whit 1080p some anti analyzing and they look quite good.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
How about making this service something a client can setup on their own? so they could load their COD disc and leave for school, then pull up their OWN console while at school!? obviously your stuck to one game unless mom loads another game for ya but still.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
GameStop is becoming a sh!thole company.

The longer they are around the more I hate them. Their prices are high, they no longer price match, they force you into the "PowerUp" rewards program to earn benefits you should be getting anyways.

I usually find better deals on games through Amazon and even Newegg of all places.

samanosuke47

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
I never did like the reselling of used games to gamestop. I mean, you don't really get that much out of them, and I kind like to think of games as collectors items. Plus one day, you may want to play them again. Also with all this streaming talk.. does that mean the people that sell their games back wouldn't be able to play since they sold it back and no longer actually have a copy of the game? I'm not sure what to think. But I've never been a fan of gamestop or EBgames..

Maybe I'm the only one but I AM excited about this prospect. I have some games I would love to play on my laptop at work but I can't...
1st - because the graphics card sux (It's not a gaming laptop).
2nd - because they are talking console games
May be less exciting to some because of a different controller but I already use a USB to PS2 controller and adapter.

Basically, I'm going get paid to play PS3 games now, not just old roms and watching Netflix.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Cloud computing (in this case cloud gaming) is the future. Once broadband fully evolves and latency and bandwidth becomes a non-issue, everything will be on the cloud.

Streamlining everything provides several benefits that a single user simply cannot provide.

bloodlust22

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]Cloud computing (in this case cloud gaming) is the future. Once broadband fully evolves and latency and bandwidth becomes a non-issue, everything will be on the cloud.Streamlining everything provides several benefits that a single user simply cannot provide.[/citation]

They way ISP's are evolving in the United States and Canada this is NOT the future. The internet in the US and Canada as a whole is extremely slow when compared to other countries and far to expensive for the quality and service that's provided. Now, take into account all ISP's are moving to bandwidth caps and tier pricing at some point in the near future streaming games, movies and music will be a current day fade that will quickly die when people begin getting $500 internet bills.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
aftcomet: haha that's not happening unfortunately

Call me stupid but I don't really understand the point of this, is it like Netflix for games?

[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]aftcomet: haha that's not happening unfortunatelyCall me stupid but I don't really understand the point of this, is it like Netflix for games?[/citation]

Not quite. Nexflix for games is Gamefly, which requires consoles. This 'service' would be much more like youtube/hulu for games.

Status
Not open for further replies.