GameStop Rumored to be Selling Steam Vouchers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ryhfhnjh[/nom]I like to grow different varieties of sedum too, because they grow fast and have very little maintenance.[/citation]
Ok, go troll somewhere else

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
What the hell is the point? If you are a gamer interested in buy a game on Steam, you use the steam client (available on all your linked devices) or the Steam webpage (available on everything with an internet connection).

Why would you go out to a GameStop to buy a voucher to redeem at your computer to download a game?

That makes no sense.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
They really need to Game stop this madness.

Sorry guys, couldn't help myself. But in all seriousness who would use the middle man when they can get it straight form the service?

reaper123

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Easy there tiger, the guy made a legitimate question, he didnt curse or offended anyone so i dont see why you are acting like a moron

G

Another viable reason to purchase Steam vouchers would be to use them as presents or gift cards to give to another. "Grandma goes out and buys a steam voucher to give to her grandson for Christmas".

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]What the hell is the point? If you are a gamer interested in buy a game on Steam, you use the steam client (available on all your linked devices) or the Steam webpage (available on everything with an internet connection). Why would you go out to a GameStop to buy a voucher to redeem at your computer to download a game?That makes no sense.[/citation]

it's for the one who doesnt have credit card, maybe. you buy the steam voucher by cash, and then redeem it in steam or could also top upped for some credits into steam wallet. the point is, easing the payment for a wider audience in the globe (if only steam voucher can be sale in every country in the world). this could really fight the piracy in the right direction.

madbiker

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

not everyone can use mommy & daddy's credit cards at will, I like the idea for broke ass non-credit card having gamers like my nephew

I wonder if Gamestop will have deals on Steam games. Amazon's digital download games are through Steam and you can usually score some great deals (bought Deus Ex: HR for $7 last week).

[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]What the hell is the point? If you are a gamer interested in buy a game on Steam, you use the steam client (available on all your linked devices) or the Steam webpage (available on everything with an internet connection). Why would you go out to a GameStop to buy a voucher to redeem at your computer to download a game?That makes no sense.[/citation]

Sure it does --- there are a lot of people out there that still do not trust giving STEAM their personal information and credit card details and for that it makes perfect saense to be able to purchase the vouchers from a Retail outlet and then use the vouchers for purchases instead of having some third party with questionable security have your credit card info on their servers.

Also for those parents that do not want to let the kids have access to a credit card for purchasing things having a place to go to purchase vouchers to give the kids makes sense as well as those consumers that do not have a credit card.

So Yes it makes sense and will probably lead to at least some more traffic coming into the store where they may also make secondary purchases so overall a good move since STEAM pretty much has all of the game distributors locked into using their service since the other alternatives are even more useless.

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
There is only one reason that comes to mind this would be useful for. My billing is in USA and I tried to buy Portal 2 while on vacations in Europe. Steam detected my IP wasn't in USA and they decided NOT to accept payment. I tried visa, AmEx, PayPal, and even lost $3 to clicknbuy (they charge you around that amount to register) to try and buy Portal 2 from overseas. I finally gave up trying and contacted Support. Steam support answer after 2 days asking me for last 4 digits etc. to unlock my account to that credit card. I reply, and now I have to wait 2 more days for an answer.

thety6on

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
You know, signing up for an electronic bank account with a debit card is completely free. And for those that don't want to give their CC info, you can always use PayPal. Just don't put any money in your PayPal account, because they have a nasty tendency to freeze your funds for no reason at all.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
If you think about it, we've been buying vouchers already. The PC version of Duke Nukem Forever I bought at Gamestop activated with a Steam code. I didn't even really have to insert the DVD (though it did speed things along). This isn't that big a change.

The only problem with this that I can foresee is that when you see a sale on Steam but don't want to use your credit card on that so you go to Gamestop with what you consider to be necessary funding only to find out the sale price is through the website only. This to color people's impressions of this service in a very negative way.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]atikkur[/nom]it's for the one who doesnt have credit card, maybe. you buy the steam voucher by cash, and then redeem it in steam or could also top upped for some credits into steam wallet. the point is, easing the payment for a wider audience in the globe (if only steam voucher can be sale in every country in the world). this could really fight the piracy in the right direction.[/citation]

good idea. i would definitely purchase them instead of using a credit card. problem is internet connection speed is crap in a third world country.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Schnitter[/nom]There is only one reason that comes to mind this would be useful for. My billing is in USA and I tried to buy Portal 2 while on vacations in Europe. Steam detected my IP wasn't in USA and they decided NOT to accept payment. I tried visa, AmEx, PayPal, and even lost $3 to clicknbuy (they charge you around that amount to register) to try and buy Portal 2 from overseas. I finally gave up trying and contacted Support. Steam support answer after 2 days asking me for last 4 digits etc. to unlock my account to that credit card. I reply, and now I have to wait 2 more days for an answer.[/citation]Why wouldn't you just call your bank/credit card company immediately? Tell them you're on vacation and need to use your card for a purchase through Valve/Steam online. Give them all necessary info, have them unfreeze your card. It would be much faster and easier than throwing more credit cards at it or going through Steam support. I bet your Paypal is linked to one of those credit cards, that you tried to use, hence why Paypal didn't work either.

I don't see how this is a Steam issue. If anyone tries to use my credit card overseas or across the country, you can be damn sure I'm happy that the banks and credit card companies are watching out for fraud. If I am legitimetely travelling, and I have an issue, I call the bank. Not tech support for Steam or wherever the heck you're trying to use the card.

jurassic512

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
[citation][nom]reaper123[/nom]Easy there tiger, the guy made a legitimate question, he didnt curse or offended anyone so i dont see why you are acting like a moron[/citation]

Wasn't legitimate in the least. He clearly asked a question before thinking.

G

Laugh, one guy said this.

"Not everyone has a working credit card, or are old enough to even own one. And not everyone are spoiled enough to have parents that want to buy it for them through Steam."

I got sent credit cards in the mail when I was 15, yes 15. And have had a working credit card my whole life so far. Yes I understand kids may be stupid and use it and not have the money to use it, but that's when your PARENTS keep the credit card from you.

Smart people get a credit card as soon as possible. It builds your Credit up. Even my parents used a credit card in my name when I was younger to help make my get good credit rep.

reaper123

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
[citation][nom]jurassic512[/nom]Wasn't legitimate in the least. He clearly asked a question before thinking.[/citation]

And silly me thought that people sometimes do that, or maybe he did think about it and couldnt come to an answer hence why he asked, you cant just assume things. Also I didnt realize that if the answer to a question is obvious for some people it automatically makes the question ilegitimate and the person asking it should be cursed. Since people share different perspectives according to their age/lifestyle/situation there is a great variety on what some percieve as natural or obvious.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Never liked GameStop anyways, but aww well for them.

[citation][nom]taizun[/nom]Not everyone has a working credit card, or are old enough to even own one. And not everyone are spoiled enough to have parents that want to buy it for them through Steam. Thus they go and spend their hard cash on vouchers, which they then redeem on Steam. If that was too hard to figure out by yourself, then you're a fucking narrow-minded blob that just need to see the daylight atleast once in his miserably life.[/citation]

Wtf did you wake up with stuck in your a$$ this morning?

killbits

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I don't understand how Gamestop plans to make any profit on these vouchers. If a game is on Steam for $49.99, and Gamestop sells the voucher for $49.99, where are they making any money?

Not having a credit card/not wanting to use it online are excuses (YMMV on whether they are good excuses, but still) If Gamestop tries to sell games for more than the retail price I don't see anyone buying them, even if they don't want to send their credit card over Steam:

It's not very hard to take $50 in cash and turn it into a pre-paid gift card that can be used for online purchases - no personal info, no credit card number.

Not to mention sales tax - you're already paying a few dollars more to get the voucher in-store. Plus, gas money to get to the store in the first place. The more I think about it, the more this sounds like a terrible idea for both Gamestop and their customers.

Vindictive69

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
Impulse is a better service since its less restrictive. I can run any of my games from up to 5 computers at home at the same time. Steam doesnt let people do that so i cant be playing a game while the wife or kids are playing another game that i had paid for... really stupid restriction to only be able to play one game at a time for something i paid good money for.

[citation][nom]killbits[/nom]I don't understand how Gamestop plans to make any profit on these vouchers. If a game is on Steam for $49.99, and Gamestop sells the voucher for $49.99, where are they making any money?Not having a credit card/not wanting to use it online are excuses (YMMV on whether they are good excuses, but still) If Gamestop tries to sell games for more than the retail price I don't see anyone buying them, even if they don't want to send their credit card over Steam:It's not very hard to take $50 in cash and turn it into a pre-paid gift card that can be used for online purchases - no personal info, no credit card number. Not to mention sales tax - you're already paying a few dollars more to get the voucher in-store. Plus, gas money to get to the store in the first place. The more I think about it, the more this sounds like a terrible idea for both Gamestop and their customers.[/citation]

Just like anything else they sell if they sell it for $49.99 they get a percentage directly from Steam for making the sale for them ( Just means Steam makes a little less profit in order to gain more sales by offering their product in a different place and gaining customers they might not have gotten otherwise)

As far as just buying a prepaid CC - have you looked at the Fees they charge for those things $6 for the purchase of the $50 card then monthly fees to maintain the card of around $5 and a Fee to add money to the balance of the card of $5 -- who in their right mind would pay that type of Fee to be able to buy a game even if you find one that charges less they are still charging a high fee for the original purchase or to add $ to the balance so having a retail chain you could pay the $50 to and get a $50 balance without the fees makes sense for consumers and just like any other Gift Card STEAM would gain a lot of $ in the bank to draw interest on and bump up their company cash flow on paper - Plus any of those vouchers that are purchased and then LOST or never redeemed for one reason or another are pure profit and all of the vouchers sold become Cash for them to use during the time between Purchase of the voucher and redemption by the ultimate end user - so they are willing to give up a small percentage of the profit to a retailer like GAMESTOP to gain those sales.

And there is no SALES TAX charged on gift card or voucher purchases -- the Sales TAX is charged when a purchase is made using the card otherwise you'd be paying the TAX twice !!

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I started using Impulse back when Stardock owned it so I could get into one of their betas. There have been a lot of changes since GameStop purchased it, few that I liked.

I never understood why they began selling Steam exclusives on Impulse and every time I am looking at a game and see **NOTICE: This game requires the Steam client to download and play** I immediately leave the page. Why would I purchase a Steam game from another digital distributor? I can almost understand having a Steam code in a boxed game but applying the same concept to a digital copy doesn't make sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.