GameStop Wants to Sell... Pre-Owned Software Keys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I'd be more than happy to buy used software keys. That's the main way I discover new software that I may or may not like. This is especially true of video games. Certain titles I think are bad (Rage, Bulletstorm, etc.) and would never buy new are far more appealing at a used price point. If I like I'll probably buy the sequel at full price.

Though I don't like the trades that Gamestop makes (barely give any credit for a trade and mark it up to almopst new for resale) -- It would be great to see them wok their way through the court system to make it possible for people to resell their Steam games etc. instead of being stuck with a game you never play. And figure if they can work this out then that would also open the way for a game rental company as they could purchase and resell the keys over and over each time a game was rented\returned and open some competition to make the game companies bring down the cost of new games instead of keeping them at full price for years.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
When publishers keep pushing things farther and farther, eventually there will be a push-back.
Zynga's burned out it's game-players turned beggars, Blizzard's losing people as people aren't that interested in playing shopping mall in a fantasy RPG, and for years games have been sold as non-returnable even if the customer receives no value from it if it's unplayable.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Parasites, sucking the blood out of the gaming industry, they should be forced to give something back to the devs every time the same game is sold[/citation]
The devs would not get said royalty payment as it would go to the publisher. The publishers are the parasites. Us consumers along with companies such as Gamestop and identify are more like symbiotes in mutually beneficial relationships. The fact that some publishers release trash and refuse to let us sell what we purchased is rediculous.
Here is the the issue. These gaming companies are just like any other tech company, they develop a technology and then use that technology to create a product. When we buy the product it is the product that we own not the technology that was used to create it. Therefor we own the product. As with any product we purchase we own that product and have the right to sell it. In the case of licensing for use of a product......... This should not be allowed unless the purchased software is used to create another product in which the intended creation directly relies on the software licensed. Now since we are not licensing the game engine to create a new game but we are purchasing the end product we should have the right to claim ownership of our individual copy of said purchase. This is not saying that we own the technology or the game itself, but the copy we bought. Just as we purchase a flat screen TV. That individual unit becomes the purchasers property after the exchange of currency. Again we didn't purchase the patent for the technology itself but an individual unit of an end product that becomes the purchasers property, Therefore when the owner sees fit to sell the property that is owned it is legal to do so.

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
"According to the court's judgment, a software author's exclusive license to distribute a given copy of its product is exhausted in the initial distribution. >>>Thus, owners of the software can sell said copy without the author's consent.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
[citation][nom]JDFan[/nom]Though I don't like the trades that Gamestop makes (barely give any credit for a trade and mark it up to almopst new for resale) -- It would be great to see them wok their way through the court system to make it possible for people to resell their Steam games etc. instead of being stuck with a game you never play. And figure if they can work this out then that would also open the way for a game rental company as they could purchase and resell the keys over and over each time a game was rented\returned and open some competition to make the game companies bring down the cost of new games instead of keeping them at full price for years.[/citation]

games on steam go crazy cheap once in a while on steam.
Also, its the stores that make most of the money. Best buy makes crazy markup on games. Also game prices might have to come down due to mobile game prices. How would there be a way to control digital keys? People could then just sell off pirated keys.

THe thing about gamestop is that they sell used copies almost as much as new copies and pay next to nothing for used copies, so they are a parasite company. would be different is gamestops prices where cheaper. So gamestop is just trying to find a way to make more profits and try to cut out the game developers meanwhile screw people over buy paying them next to nothing. Why should gamestop make all the money for doing nothing?

Less money is the hands of developers = less game content / less resources for cool games. Game companies for consoles are already starting to hurt because people are starting to get heap due to 3.99 mobile games. So you think anyone can make money selling games for $3 ? good luck with that one... at cheap prices like that you have to have a whole wave of different games and sell millions of copies and maybe you might have enough to pay your programmers unless you hire all them from india.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
gamestop is a huge ripoff. They rip you off when you sell games to them and their prices for used games are unrealistic. I buy my used games off of ebay or amazon and then sell my used games on amazon or ebay and spend a lot less buying and make a lot more selling then i ever would at gamestop.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Parasites, sucking the blood out of the gaming industry, they should be forced to give something back to the devs every time the same game is sold[/citation]
Don't tell me you buy into their "license" crap. Once I buy something I own it, end of story. If I resell it, that is on me.

I'm not touching copying and selling stuff, as that is a whole other can of worms.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]I'd be more than happy to buy used software keys. That's the main way I discover new software that I may or may not like. This is especially true of video games. Certain titles I think are bad (Rage, Bulletstorm, etc.) and would never buy new are far more appealing at a used price point. If I like I'll probably buy the sequel at full price.[/citation]

Or you can wait a few months, pick the game up on sale from Steam for $10 or less and both you and the developer benefit.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Command and Conquer, Ace Combat, Gran Turismo, Forza, Killzone, area all series that I got into after buying and playing used, buying their sequels at full price. With the gaming industry talking recently of trying to kill the ability to even play used games I applaud Gamestop's move, but wonder how much it will matter not too long from now.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Have fun GameStop, because not too long ago, a US court ruled in an Autodesk vs. (someone) case that software are NOT customers' property, but instead are licenses that can be revoked at any time.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Right.....and everything you sell on Craigslist you need to deposit a percentage into the Paypal account of the manufacturer. Or further more, whenever you sell your car, the manufacturer needs to get a percentage of that back, same for your home and whoever built it. Things have a resale value for a reason, things are also sold with the cost of R&D. production, and marketing in mind to make a profit. If every company got reparations for their old products being sold and resold, they'd be doing everything to push for consumers to keep selling and reselling for endless profits.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
[citation][nom]jalek[/nom]When publishers keep pushing things farther and farther, eventually there will be a push-back.[/citation]

Actually it's fairly easy for game publishers to push back. Make the games a lease, aka Pay to Play. Make the game free, and thus no product key but charge a set fee per month. They could even require a 3 month initial rent, which would be very close to what the game now costs. Wait this sounds familiar.

Optionally they could make their games suck even more. Bringing out xpac after xpac, for a fee of course, for content that should have been in the game in the first place. Or iffy ports of console games that weren't that good to begin with. Wait that also sounds familiar. It's almost like they know how to suck the maximum amount of money out of us.

teknomedic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
[citation][nom]matt_b[/nom]Right.....and everything you sell on Craigslist you need to deposit a percentage into the Paypal account of the manufacturer. Or further more, whenever you sell your car, the manufacturer needs to get a percentage of that back, same for your home and whoever built it. Things have a resale value for a reason, things are also sold with the cost of R&D. production, and marketing in mind to make a profit. If every company got reparations for their old products being sold and resold, they'd be doing everything to push for consumers to keep selling and reselling for endless profits.[/citation]

^^THIS....

I've always taken issue with developers and publishers trying to dip into the used market. While I understand their issues with the used market, it doesn't mean they get to have special treatment and get extra money back just because a product is resold. Besides, if they were serious about EARNING (instead of asking for a handout of another company's hard work) money in the used market, they'd offer their own trade in programs so that they could repackage and sell a "certified used" or something similar.

G

The thing about any secondhand product is that people have unrealistic expectations on the value of their goods. Think about it. You buy a game for $60, beat it in a week and expect to get paid $40. That is just pure selfish greed. You bought a product and exhausted it's full potential and expect to get paid an unrealistic 75%+ return on investment? Every business will go bankrupt trying to please your desire to buy a new game for $20 net total.

GameStop is market driven. If you are trading in "JoeShmoe BullCrap Warfare 3 deluxe edition" that you bought 4 years ago and expect to get 30-40% return on original $60 investment you are entirely delusional. That game is going to sit on the shelf for months on end getting unsold, sometimes years. That is ZERO profit for GameStop. There are fantastic trade promotions from time to time that will net you 50% return in investment. You just have to know when the promotions are and trade-in a game that is popular.

If you think a stack that includes: Fable 2, Forza 2, Overlord, Madden '06, NBA Live 08, FIFA 06, Halo 3, Viva Pinata, and Guitar Hero 3 is worth anything more than $10 - $15 you are batcrap crazy. You trade in Forza 2 and get $0.75 and it gets sold for $2.99. They make minuscule profit and that game will sit on the shelf forever. You win, they lose. Likewise, if you expect to buy a game that is pre-owned and only a month old for less than 60-75% its original retail price, again, you are batcrap crazy and have no understanding of economics. MARKET DRIVEN PRICING OHMERGERD

SDSUMarcus01

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
[citation][nom]QEFX[/nom]Actually it's fairly easy for game publishers to push back. Make the games a lease, aka Pay to Play. Make the game free, and thus no product key but charge a set fee per month. They could even require a 3 month initial rent, which would be very close to what the game now costs. Wait this sounds familiar.Optionally they could make their games suck even more. Bringing out xpac after xpac, for a fee of course, for content that should have been in the game in the first place. Or iffy ports of console games that weren't that good to begin with. Wait that also sounds familiar. It's almost like they know how to suck the maximum amount of money out of us.[/citation]

I think you're overlooking the fact that durability and condition are much more of a factor for other used markets. As long as a game disk isn't scratched to hell, the purchaser gets the full game experience. The value of the experience isn't really hampered. If a car is damaged, a book is damaged, or a shirt is damaged, the value can change quite drastically. A scratch on your car and a prospective buyer might ask for a $500 discount. A scratch on your game disk and most people would barely bat an eye.

Games also tend to be one use products. By that I mean, once you beat it, or decide you don't like it, you rarely have a reason to go back to the game (yes, there are a few exceptions). This is quite a bit different from a car, clothing, and even music.

Many of the other industries that have used markets also have alternate sources of revenues. Most car manufacturers make very little profit on the sale of a car. Service and parts tend to be where their bread and butter are made. So to them, the owner of the car doesn't matter much as long as the owner is getting the car serviced and buys replacement parts. Movies attempt to recapture a lot of their costs through the initial theater release. With music, the artists have concert tours.

Games also tend to have much shorter lifetimes than other forms of media. There are avid fans of classic movies and music, willing to pay full price for re-releases. How many people would willing pay $50-$60 for a ten year old game, let alone one from 25 years ago? Sure, there are costs to restoring or remastering a moving/music, but those pale in comparison to the prospects of completely redoing the artwork for a game.

Games are expensive to make and continue to get more expensive. http://www.develop-online.net/news/33625/Study-Average-dev-cost-as-high-as-28m. Given the limited revenue options game studios have, they really need to recapture costs as quickly as possible.

When you buy used (or worse still, pirate), you essentially remove yourself from the market for that particular game. Very few people re-buy games they've already beaten unless the game is exceptional (and those are rare). You've removed the ability for the game developer to lower prices to match your price point.

I have many great memories from games, and I hope that game developers/studios/publishers continue to have incentive to create games. I always buy new, but that doesn't mean I shell out $50-$60 for every game. I take full advantage of steam sales because I know that the developers get some of the proceeds.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Have fun GameStop, because not too long ago, a US court ruled in an Autodesk vs. (someone) case that software are NOT customers' property, but instead are licenses that can be revoked at any time.[/citation]
Read my last post! It is directly relevant to that type of argument.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I have suspicions about how well any plan involving selling used product keys will work. There are plenty of legitimate original customers who have problems running software because of ridiculously strict DRM. This is especially true with some of the recent game titles. How much more cumbersome will they make copy protection systems in order to ensure the used product key market doesn't become a new workaround for pirates? (Not that they need a new way :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS