GameStop: Xbox 720's Ban of Used Games Will 'Significantly Diminish' Demand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadboy90

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
I know any desire I had to get it disappeared when I found out about the used game ban. I have no problem not being able to trade in a digital purchase of a game that I paid full price for, Im giving up that right to not have to interact with people to lay hands on it, but not being able to lend a physical copy of something I paid 60 bucks for? No thank you microsoft.

I hadn't heard about this used game ban before, but if this is true, they just threw a big advantage of consoles over PC out the window - if I can't rent games to try them out, or sell them to GameStop if I discover something later in the game that makes me want to stop playing, I'm not buying the system.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]blader15sk8[/nom]In the last paragraph about the SoC, you link to an article that is over a year old.. I thought the rumors now were x86 CPU?[/citation]

Backwards compatibility with existing X-Box 360 games without needing to do some voodoo magic and basically emulate the 360 environment which is IBM PPC vs x86. Emulation would kick the ass of even some very modern processors so it might make sense to take existing inventory of chips and slap them in the console in an idle state or powered down unless needed. Of course it's all just rumors at this point and nobody really knows what the hell either Sony or Microsoft are going to put out.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
If this is true (the required internet connection or innability to play used games) I would NOT buy the system. No exception, no questions. PERIOD.

I tell you what, Microsoft is really making a lot of bad decisions these days. With the steaming pile of dung that is Win8 and these Xbox rumors I'm beside myself. Not good.

Kraizk

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I find it impossible to use this as a valid reason to not buy the console (assuming the always on requirement is incorrect as Microsoft would be making a large mistake as UBI Soft is learning).

I do not care for used games and the idea of saving $5 on a game does not out weigh the risk of the disk being damaged (had this happen on more than 1 occasion) and the fact that any included content is now null and void. Not to mention I know the sucker who traded it in was given pennies on the dolar. With more and more titles requiring the activation of online privileges through content codes used games have already lost a large amount of their luster.

The only place I see a flaw here is for the rental game market which while disappointing also does not personally impact me as I buy games I like, not just rent them.

atavax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Even if when the console comes out, they allow used games, i would be unwilling to buy the console because i know at any time they could change their stance and disallow used games and i wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

G

Man, this is suck, maybe even in us, where you guys pay about 60 bucks the game, it`d be bad. In brazil, though, we pay twice that value. With this used games ban, probable it wont be a best seller on our shelves.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]Backwards compatibility with existing X-Box 360 games without needing to do some voodoo magic and basically emulate the 360 environment which is IBM PPC vs x86. Emulation would kick the ass of even some very modern processors so it might make sense to take existing inventory of chips and slap them in the console in an idle state or powered down unless needed. Of course it's all just rumors at this point and nobody really knows what the hell either Sony or Microsoft are going to put out.[/citation]

hard to say, to emulate you need 7X the processing power from what i understand, but microsoft also has the blueprint, so telling me the cant do it would be a lie.

[citation][nom]Kraizk[/nom]I find it impossible to use this as a valid reason to not buy the console (assuming the always on requirement is incorrect as Microsoft would be making a large mistake as UBI Soft is learning). I do not care for used games and the idea of saving $5 on a game does not out weigh the risk of the disk being damaged (had this happen on more than 1 occasion) and the fact that any included content is now null and void. Not to mention I know the sucker who traded it in was given pennies on the dolar. With more and more titles requiring the activation of online privileges through content codes used games have already lost a large amount of their luster. The only place I see a flaw here is for the rental game market which while disappointing also does not personally impact me as I buy games I like, not just rent them.[/citation]

an old game, 100% out of print, and you want to play it... oh.. whats this... you cant use a used game? well that sucks... oh... whats this... a new version cost 400$+ (look up doom on amazon... god im not even kidding) well sucks for you, you pay that price to be able to play it because you cant play it used.

see, you are thinking of the morons and price gougeing that gamestop does.
on amazon, its not uncommon to see games for 10-20$ cheaper used than new.
and ebay you could be looking at close to half off depending on game and rarity.

[citation][nom]samwelaye[/nom]gamestop rips off and gouges used games anyways. Why buy used when new is only $5 more?[/citation]

because gamestop isnt the only person who sells used games?

[citation][nom]JJ1217[/nom]Something like this might be suicidal for the Xbox range, used games really do drive the gaming market. Not everyone can afford $80+ games.[/citation]

just wait for a year or so down the line, new games will cost 100-300$ because they are out of print.

--------------------------------------------------

kill used market
force kinect to even use console
always on internet

you know, if this console came with a free sex slave i would still not get it if any of the above is true.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
[citation][nom]samwelaye[/nom]gamestop rips off and gouges used games anyways. Why buy used when new is only $5 more?[/citation]

While I agree they rip people off on their trade-ins, I disagree that every single person buys a used game at 5$ off, some wait years and buy used for upwards of 20$ off, which is quite substantial. Often they trade in bunches of old games, in order to go buy new ones, sometimes brand new versions, sometimes used versions of titles.

I've little interest in the new systems, except maybe the Wii U, and that's only for Nintendo only titles, but adding on if they do go for no used games, or always on connections, or requiring me to dance like an idiot in my front room to use kinect (which my front room floor makes my shelf with the Tv and systems shake like crazy), just makes the interest drop even lower then it was originally.

G

I am eagerly awaiting the new Xbox console, however.....I don't mind switching to Sony at all if Xbox bans used games. I'm not into trading games etc...however I have some titles that I'm not interested in owning that my friends/family own and vice versa but we play together whenever we can despite our different taste in games. And if its solely online also they can keep it, some of my favorite games are local multiplayer(black ops zombies, Madden, nba 2k...etc exception bf3). I can stomach a small fee for ONLINE access(maybe 400 msp) for that particular game but it should remain optional. As far as mandatory kinect goes that should also be optional or a turn off button/command, technology is just starting to seem TOO invasive(how many cam access is too much?) every device has a built in cam, the last thing we need is allowing spying to become legal by making kinect a mandatory feature for upcoming games....I just hope some of these "leaks" are false.

G

They had the same rumors when the xbox 360 were coming out. Truth is, if Microsoft bans used game and Sony does not, then sony will win BADLY. This is free market at its greatest here, neither will do it at the end of the day because they know the competitor will win. If they both do it, then something else will arise. Free market my friends...works for us.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Far be it from me to agree with Gamestop, but banning used games is a bad idea. Fortunately this is just a persisting rumor from more than a year ago that has been countered by other sources claiming to have dev kits or inside knowledge. Also as to the rumor about a Power PC based SoC, the most recent rumor which supposedly has been validated by multiple sources, is that the 720 uses an 8 core AMD Jaguar in it's SoC running at 1.6 ghz.

Kraizk

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]JJ1217[/nom]Something like this might be suicidal for the Xbox range, used games really do drive the gaming market. Not everyone can afford $80+ games.[/citation]

In the United States i have never seen a game cost $80+ unless someone was buying a collectors edition copy, in which case they knew what they were getting into. And given gamestop and other retailers track records the used game would be $75 using your inflated price.

[citation][nom]eldenskloss[/nom]They had the same rumors when the xbox 360 were coming out. Truth is, if Microsoft bans used game and Sony does not, then sony will win BADLY. This is free market at its greatest here, neither will do it at the end of the day because they know the competitor will win. If they both do it, then something else will arise. Free market my friends...works for us.[/citation]
what if the big game publishers push one console to do it and only support the one doing it?

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]blader15sk8[/nom]In the last paragraph about the SoC, you link to an article that is over a year old.. I thought the rumors now were x86 CPU?[/citation]

Nothing in this article is really factual yet since everything about these consoles are rumors. Ignore the "apparently will require" of any part of this. I'd even question the validity of a survey Gamestop provided considering their biased viewpoint (although I believe the results).

Still, nearly every rumor about the new PS/Xbox makes Wii U look even better. Maybe it doesn't have the best CPU, but at least Nintendo isn't trying to charge every person in the room. If I want the best CPU PC is always the best option anyway.

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
"you know, if this console came with a free sex slave i would still not get it if any of the above is true."

I've never owned a console in my life and have no plans to get one, but I would if it came with a sex slave!

Status
Not open for further replies.