[SOLVED] Gaming 1200 - 1700eu rig. Buy now or wait for the next gen to come at summer?

Feb 9, 2020
Good morning!

Been checking these boards lately and decided I'd just ask your opinion.
For job reasons I built two rigs back in the day, one of 'em sporting an i5 2500k coupled with a Gigabyte GTX 570 and the second being an i5 4570k with am Asus GTX 770 OCd by default. Both featured pretty similar RAMs (G Skill Ripjaws, just different Mhzs), PSUs (Corsairs RM 650 & 750) and SSD setups. Both CPUs were OCd to run at 4500Mhz, nothing too extreme, using Noctua coolers to keep 'em fine.

Now my old 2500k/570gtx couple still works well, even tho it doesn't allow me to properly run certain games on high/ultra specs. This doesn't really bother me as my personal situation changed and I barely use it since 2015/6. In the other hand, my 4670k/770gtx - which is the one I use on a daily basis nowadays - started displaying artifacts as soon as Windows finished booting last year. At this point, it's kind of unbearable and I'm forced to run any game or GPU medium-high demanding task so that the artifacts do not appear and the computer doesn't enter a crash/BSOD loop.

It really smells like the 770gtx has had it with me and it's time to replace my good ol' rig.
As an old i5-k series fan, I thought the 9600k was a goood starting point, but after a couple reads it seems that AMD has recently taken the lead.

I came up with this setup using spanish providers (amazon.es & pccomponentes.com) at PCPartPicker:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (€320.90)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€36.25)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard (€188.85)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3600 PC4-28800 16GB 2x8GB CL16 (€129)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€149.94)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card (€569.90)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case (€78.53)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€109.90)
Total: €1583.27

I mostly do shooters (BF5, BL3, Overwatch, etc...) and sim racing (iRacing, F1 XXXX, Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, etc..) - I'm currently considering a triples (1440 at 144 would be ace) or a VR setup for these, in case you might want to take that into account. I also do a bunch of programing, but I execute the big workloads on the cloud, so that shouldn't be an issue for my local computer.

Now I think the setup is good enough for my needs and it's also sturdy enough to last a good bunch of years, but I'm wondering whether it's worth to pick a low budget GPU card (any of the gtx 1050/1060/1650) and just wait until summer when all the big fancy new archs (intel 10k, ryzen 4k, nvidia 3k?) are released in order to get a proper setup running. That way I could keep my 4670k/1XXX gtx setup as backup and my new summer rig for my top-notch daily stuff.

If I weren't having the artifacts issue I'd definitely wait until summer, it just feels awkward to drop 150 - 200 bucks now to fix an issue just to drop 1.2 - 1.5k later on summer to properly address the system update instead of tossing it all together to get better pieces overall.
I already tried fixing the artifacts - which only show when the computer is idle or performing non-GPU-intensive tasks such as watching Youtube - by updating my BIOS, reseating my GPU on a different PCI and cleaning both the CPU/GPU heatsinks with no success, it kinda looks dead and just holding by a thread at this point :(

Thank you for your time!

* Edit: Updated RAM and price tags.
R7 3700X is currently being incorrectly tagged because there's some weird 3rd party selling a couple of them at the high 100s€ instead of their real ~300s€ value..

Last edited:
Solution
Good morning!

For job reasons I built two rigs back in the day, one of 'em sporting an i5 2500k coupled with a Gigabyte GTX 570 and the second being an i5 4570k with am Asus GTX 770 OCd by default. Both featured pretty similar RAMs (G Skill Ripjaws, just different Mhzs), PSUs (Corsairs RM 650 & 750) and SSD setups. Both CPUs were OCd to run at 4500Mhz, nothing too extreme, using Noctua coolers to keep 'em fine.

Now my old 2500k/570gtx couple still works well, even tho it doesn't allow me to properly run certain games on high/ultra specs. This doesn't really bother me as my personal situation changed and I barely use it since 2015/6. In the other hand, my...
I’d just upgrade now as you need a new system. There is always something new in 6-12 months and a lot of this years releases are just stating H2 2020 but not actually when. If there was an imminent piece of hardware about to release then waiting a couple of weeks makes sense.

Feb 9, 2020
That sounds reasonable indeed.
Any incompatibility within the build? I skipped NVMe because it doesn't seem to be worth it as of now, and I added a Hyper 212 EVO because I might OC the CPU - not aiming for 5mhzs tho.

Thanks for your time!

Feb 9, 2020
Been checking the providers and I'm thinking of swapping the Vengeance LPX for these Trident Z.
Lower CL and B-Die chips, also QVL checked for PRIME X570-P.

The reason for changing the RAM is basically having everything come from a single provider instead of multiple providers - it's only the RAM missing on one of the provides which happens to offer the better deals on the rest of the hardware, and incurring on the delivery expenses just for a single piece feels meh.

Good morning!

Now my old 2500k/570gtx couple still works well, even tho it doesn't allow me to properly run certain games on high/ultra specs. This doesn't really bother me as my personal situation changed and I barely use it since 2015/6. In the other hand, my 4670k/770gtx - which is the one I use on a daily basis nowadays - started displaying artifacts as soon as Windows finished booting last year. At this point, it's kind of unbearable and I'm forced to run any game or GPU medium-high demanding task so that the artifacts do not appear and the computer doesn't enter a crash/BSOD loop.

It really smells like the 770gtx has had it with me and it's time to replace my good ol' rig.
As an old i5-k series fan, I thought the 9600k was a goood starting point, but after a couple reads it seems that AMD has recently taken the lead.

I came up with this setup using spanish providers (amazon.es & pccomponentes.com) at PCPartPicker:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (€192.41)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€36.25)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (€94.82)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card (€524.99)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€109.90)
Total: €1375.69

I mostly do shooters (BF5, BL3, Overwatch, etc...) and sim racing (iRacing, F1 XXXX, Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, etc..) - I'm currently considering a triples (1440 at 144 would be ace) or a VR setup for these, in case you might want to take that into account. I also do a bunch of programing, but I execute the big workloads on the cloud, so that shouldn't be an issue for my local computer.

Now I think the setup is good enough for my needs and it's also sturdy enough to last a good bunch of years, but I'm wondering whether it's worth to pick a low budget GPU card (any of the gtx 1050/1060/1650) and just wait until summer when all the big fancy new archs (intel 10k, ryzen 4k, nvidia 3k?) are released in order to get a proper setup running. That way I could keep my 4670k/1XXX gtx setup as backup and my new summer rig for my top-notch daily stuff.

If I weren't having the artifacts issue I'd definitely wait until summer, it just feels awkward to drop 150 - 200 bucks now to fix an issue just to drop 1.2 - 1.5k later on summer to properly address the system update instead of tossing it all together to get better pieces overall.
I already tried fixing the artifacts - which only show when the computer is idle or performing non-GPU-intensive tasks such as watching Youtube - by updating my BIOS, reseating my GPU on a different PCI and cleaning both the CPU/GPU heatsinks with no success, it kinda looks dead and just holding by a thread at this point :(

Thank you for your time!
I would upgrade now tbh, the games you’ve listed aren’t hard to run and would suggest an ultra wide monitor for the raving games however overwatch doesn’t do ultrawide so probs not the best idea.

if you want to save money look at the 5700XT GPU, around the same performance as the 2070S but about £100 cheaper.

Solution
Good morning!

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card (€569.90)

Thank you for your time!

R7 3700X is currently being incorrectly tagged because there's some weird 3rd party selling a couple of them at the high 100s€ instead of their real ~300s€ value..
Is your RAM in the memory compatibility list of your motherboard?

Good morning!

Thank you for your time!

Is your RAM in the memory compatibility list of your motherboard?