Gaming/3D rendering+game development PC!

michmoel

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Hi guys,

After alot of research and hours of watching youtube videos, i finally came up with a build that im gonna use for gaming, video rendering and 3D Development.
I Plan to add one more GTX 970 and 16gb more of RAM next month

What do you guys think of it? anything you would have changed?

Build.jpg

Solution

For game development/ CAD, the 980ti is absolutely better than two 970 in 100% of cases. You do not want to deal with SLI development until you know your game is working, if not it'll just bring up a whole bunch of extra errors and performance hits that are not fun to deal with when you have better problems to spend your time on.

gotovato

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
Looks like a solid build. Few things though, I'd suggest an 850watt psu for sli 970's. specially if you plan to overclock. It'll give you some headroom which is always good. Also for ram, i would suggest grabbing a 32gb kit all at once as you're never garunteed mixing kits, even the exact same kits, will work properly. Other then that, solid build.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

750 watts is plenty of headroom for GTX 970 SLI. You could run them with a good 650 watts PSU.

In my opinion that build is more a gaming build than a render build. Where is the render card? No ECC certified memory?

michmoel

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Gotovato: I will add 16more GB next month, the same brand and type so that will be no problem. A quality 750w psu will hold up just fine with two 970 imo.

RFCProd: Good that you think its more of a gaming build, thats what i wanted :) That said, i will use the PC for Rendering and video editing as well, BUT my work is mostly LOW poly mesh so the gtx 970 should be fine i guess, and when i add another it will def be good enough. For the ECC memory, The 5820k dont support it. I would have to buy and Xeon cpu for that

gotovato

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
If you do not plan to overclock anything too far then yes 750 is ok. As for the ram. Even if you buy another kit, the EXACT same kit, it may not work. Ram kits are tested to work together with what comes in the box. Sure, you might buy the same kit and it may work perfectly, but you may also have nothing but headaches. If you're willing to take that risk then your build is fine as is.

michmoel

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
2x GTX 970 will cost me less than one gtx 980ti here in Norway. And the 970 SLI crushes a single 980ti in pretty much ALL the benchmarks, go on youtube and watch the videos there.. I wonder why there is so much wrong information out there.

For game development/ CAD, the 980ti is absolutely better than two 970 in 100% of cases. You do not want to deal with SLI development until you know your game is working, if not it'll just bring up a whole bunch of extra errors and performance hits that are not fun to deal with when you have better problems to spend your time on.

Solution

michmoel

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012

That i did not know :) Thanks alot, that helps alot! I will just save up and buy a single gtx 980 or 980ti. Have a nice day :)

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014
Yeah again when you're sling you have to remember it's not linear. When you tack on another card you will not get 2x the performance. Most likely 1.5 if you're lucky and thats IF a big if that game is even optimized for dual cards or supports nvidia sli. Even then if it supports it the drivers could just be utter turds. Which is why the golden rule for now is, buy the best single gpu you can over two cheaper ones.

That is if, "dx12" is made up of all the magic pixies it claims it is. I guess whenever that drops we'll know.

*side note*
Anyone know if mgs or any of the recently released Tripple A titles will get dx12 support in the future? Would love to see that in metro.

Doubtful, especially those two that don't have a dedicated engine team. Frostbyte 3 does already have it in code base, so battlefront might see dx12. DX12 does not help with the SLI issue though, unless the developers made everything with that in mind.

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014

So as i thought, just because you can get closer to a 1:1 ratio with multi gpu's it'll still fall on the devs to actually encompass that tech into the game. Still hoping on that possible amd/nvidia mix and match however unlikely it's most likely gonna be.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

Careful with calling the experts out here 'wrong'. They post and have the knowledge to post and suggest things here for a reason.