Build Advice Gaming and light editing build

yuriyu13

Commendable
Nov 20, 2018
Hello!

So I found this build today and thought I'd ask you guys if it's a good one for:
  1. All Sims 3\4 games & packs plus lots of custom content.
  2. Light video and photo editing.
  3. Browsing and watching.
I don't plan on overclocking.

This is the build:
Case: LIAN LI LANCOOL II MESH RGB (White)
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700KF 8-Core 3.8 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WIFI)
GPU: ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge OC White Edition
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series, H100i RGB Platinum SE CPU Cooler
RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO 16GB (2 x 16GB) 3000MHz C15 - White
SSD M.2: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2
HDD: WD Black 6TB
Power supply: CORSAIR RM Series RM750 80+ Gold

Do you think I should get Intel Core i5-10600KF instead btw??
Thank you!! :3

Lutfij

Titan
Whatever happened to this build...? The one you've got listed above is good but it's not going to be a light editing rig, more like a rig that can churn out some good quality productions. If you ca afford it, then yes, go for it.

You didn't state the app's that you'll be taxing the system with. Generically stating you're going to do these:
Only adds more questions or worse, a bad suggestion towards your build. This is why we ask for the app's and the tasks you want to tax the system with.

DDR4-3600MHz, at least a 3360mm AIO and a better M.2 drive for the OS/app's.

yuriyu13

Commendable
Nov 20, 2018
Whatever happened to this build...? The one you've got listed above is good but it's not going to be a light editing rig, more like a rig that can churn out some good quality productions. If you ca afford it, then yes, go for it.

You didn't state the app's that you'll be taxing the system with. Generically stating you're going to do these:
Only adds more questions or worse, a bad suggestion towards your build. This is why we ask for the app's and the tasks you want to tax the system with.

DDR4-3600MHz, at least a 3360mm AIO and a better M.2 drive for the OS/app's.
I couldn't get that one because it's hard to find the GPU I originally wanted :( So I've been trying to look for other alternatives. I found a store locally that has the build I've mentioned so I thought I should just go with it (or simply wait longer until the RTX 3080 is available, but I really want to get myself a desktop already cuz I need it)
My usage is pretty simple really, but I would like a desktop that would stay with me for a long time without the need to upgrade it too soon. So the things I've mentioned are literally what I'll do most of the time (I mean playing sims and browsing, etc) I really am no expert so I'd appreciate your help!!
As for the RAM & SSD, I have other options but I don't think I can afford them sadly. Are the ones included not good for my use?

You could build as suggested, but I would not.
Your budget seems plenty adequate, and I have no problem with a i7-11700k as a long term investment.
I recently built using one. It runs cool, even with a modest cooler. I tested using a NH-l12s and cpu-Z stress test never went above 70c.
Fiddling around, overclocking of these new chips does not seem like the right thing to do.
The turbo mechanism seems to work better.
I would not buy the KF version. spend $20 more for the K version so you get integrated graphics.
That gets you going with pretty decent integrated graphics,
You only need a discrete card for fast action gaming.
Considering the prices of fast graphics cards, it will pay you to wait for decent GPU pricing.

I like the case, it is excellent for air cooling.
You can put any tower type air cooler you want in it.
A top end cooler like the noctua NH=D15s will cool perfectly well, be quieter, cost half as much, and will never wear out or leak.

Z590 based motherboards cost no more than their Z490 predecessors.
But, they have added advantages. pcie4.0 for one which allows you to use something like the samsung 980 PRO.
The voltage regulation is better, allowing better turbo results.

The rm 750w psu is excellent and will handle any gpu you want.

On storage, I would be inclined to use a 1/2 tb m.2 up front and defer on the HDD until I actually needed the space.
HDD is great for storing large sequential files such as videos, but not so good for active content like games.

ASK THE COMMUNITY