Gaming and Wireless

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
In local wireless networks, or using the internet for gaming from a wireless router what type of pings do you get?

I want to know if a wireless router setup will give me slower latency in gaming than my current 100Mbit cat5e connection.
cheers

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
so for example what's a good ping on a wireless ADSL router set up?

eg on my 10/100 on counterstrike servers i could get pings of between 20-40 ms and similar numbers on UT2k3.

Xbox live ran pretty well too.

but in my new house I might need to go wireless

JP5

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
Good would then be 22-42 or so. It is possible to get low pings. When the reception is poor, packets are just lost. That would give similar results to "lag" like you might jump around the screen as if you were lagging. I would stick with your wired solution since it works.

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
A ping of 22-42 is Godly. <b>Any</b> sub-100 ping is pretty much transparent to a typical gamer. Maybe, for example, if you are a <font color=red>cat</font color=red> you have a response time of 0.02 seconds, but the rest of us humans can't really notice.

Also, you would have to have really miserable reception to get sufficient packet drop to cause a lag spike. Unless he's going to try to run his signal through a 3' thick concrete wall he will probably see no change in ping.

We went from a wired network to a wireless in our house. I play a lot of CS and there was no perceptible change in network performance. This is through a couple of regular walls and a floor as well.

Just make sure you don't have any wireless phones or anything on the same frequency and the wireless will probably be fine.

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BunnyStroker on 09/23/03 03:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>