rutvij

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
I'm going to buy an new pc.I decided my gfx card is ati 5850 and monitor is 20'' samsung(1600x900).I will be gaming at max settings with AA turned on.I will primarily gaming only.I need help in choosing processor:Athlon x4 620 (or) PII x2 550BE.I was thinking even of a PII x3 720BE.Also does processor even matter much at that high res at max settings?

Theoretically, processor actually is more important at lower resolutions, as your video card will probably be bored at 1600x900. So your actually FPS will have more to do with your CPU than that ATI 5850.

To be quite honest, unless you wish to upgrade the monitor, I'd ditch the ATI 5850 and downgrade to something less expensive, and buy yourself a better processor.

Quad Core is where it's at these days, and will keep you from having to upgrade for quite a bit longer. Video cards are easy to upgrade. But moving up in the CPU scale sometimes means replacing motherboard and memory too. Albeit AMD is decent for that since they seem to be re-using motherboard chipsets/socket types with their newer Phenom II's.

rutvij

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Thanks for the reply.

I understand ur point.

But I was thinking that if in a game gpu(5850) is not a bottleneck,I would be getting more than 60-70fps.
Maybe with a good proccy i'd get 80-90fps,but it becomes useless as i can see only 60-70fps.

And if in a game gpu(5850) is the bottleneck(rare i think) then i'd be getting 30-40fps and proccy should not be a problem since it's not the bottleneck.

and FYI i will be turning on all eye candy lik AA and AF.

Are these two assumption right?