Gaming At 1920x1080: AMD's Trinity Takes On Intel's HD Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Err... did we really need both the A10-5800k and the A8-5600k? Seeing how both are already 100w unlocked CPUs, surely something like an A10-5800k vs a 65w A10-5700 would have been more interesting for an HTPC environment...

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Consoles set the bar for game developers. These iGPU's are comparable to the consoles and thats why games will run smooth here.

With next gen consoles coming out next year, game devs will target them. Hence the minimum standard for games will rise, making the next gen games much slower on the iGPU's. So both AMD and Intel will have to increase performance much more in the next 1-2 years.

tl;dr : next gen games will run poorly on these igpu's as next gen consoles will set the minimum performance standard.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

Keep in mind, though, that that's exactly what's going to allow AMD and Intel to advance their hardware faster than games will, as they were discussing in the article (first page of the interview). Look how far Fusion and HD Graphics have come over the past 3 years, and look how long the previous console generation lasted - if that trend is anything to go by, I'm sure integrated graphics could easily become a viable budget gaming option in the next few years.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]Consoles set the bar for game developers. These iGPU's are comparable to the consoles and thats why games will run smooth here.With next gen consoles coming out next year, game devs will target them. Hence the minimum standard for games will rise, making the next gen games much slower on the iGPU's. So both AMD and Intel will have to increase performance much more in the next 1-2 years.tl;dr : next gen games will run poorly on these igpu's as next gen consoles will set the minimum performance standard.[/citation]

Actually, the A10 and A8 have somewhat superior graphics compared to current consoles. Current consoles can't even play in 720p as well as these AMD IGPs played 1080p despite being a more optimized platform, so that this is true is kinda obvious IMO. Also, new games would simply mean dropping resolution for these APUs. They wouldn't be unable to play new games, just probably at 1080p and 16xx by 900/10xx resolutions too.

Intel probably isn't very motivated by gaming performance for their IGPs and they're supposedly making roughly 100% performance gains per generation with their top-end IGPs anyway, so they're working on growing IGP performance. AMD also gets to use GCN in their next APU and I don't think that I need to explain the implications there, especially if they go the extra mile with using their high-density library tech too.

e56imfg

Distinguished
What about Intel i3's / APUs with the 6570 or any other hybrid compatible card?
How about one more article with Ivy Bridge i3s and the 6570 on both setups. I want to see how much better gamin performance will be with AMD's hybrid cards.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
This would do it, I don't play at 1920x1080 since my monitor is only at 1366x768.

AMD really deliver stinging jabs at Intel with its APU's. I hope the pricing would be OK.

gondor

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Can you run a memory-scaling test to see how Trinity responds to more bandwidth ? Llano was considerably faster when paired with faster RAM.

Menigmand

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
If intel/amd can convince most mainstream buyers that this is "good enough", and the next generation of consoles will run for 10+ years, could this be the end of dedicated graphics?

With market share going down, there could be less economy of scale and less investment, leading to stagnation and very high prices.

For some time, you will still be able to buy a dedicated GPU, but it will be a niche product that costs you an arm and a leg, and soon hardware support will dwindle as producers move to smaller form factors.

mylloc

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Desktop almost die. Why should amd play on desktop?
Server -> intel
Mobile -> ARM
console -> ??? (amd should play in this area)

jijibu

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
DDR3 1600 could limit AMD's performance. It would be better to see benchmarks with 1866 MHz and higher frequency kits and overclocking results, because they depend on RAM frequencies...

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009

I'm not sure it's accurate to say that consoles play on a game's absolute minimum settings, disregarding resolution. With that in mind, the PC versions would still have graphics options to tune down compared to the what the console versions would have their settings configured, I would think. :)

I do wonder how good these Trinity APU's could typically overclock, and how they'd perform there, along with their RAM overclocked to a reasonable level to compensate for the more graphics processing power.
More so, I'm wondering if the PSCheck method where you manipulate core P-states would have a substantial affect with mainly dual-threaded titles.
Also maybe I'd like to see if Dual-graphics performs better (scaling) and has a wider compatibility range than Llano's.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]EzioAs[/nom]I like the performance improvement in graphics, but I wish it was a little better. Maybe 20% more, but hey, at least it's improving[/citation]

They did what they could on their 32nm process node that they had to stick to. Kaveri, assuming that it is true that it has GCN, will make undoubtedly some much more huge improvements over Trinity than Trinity did over Llano.

abitoms

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
tom, i would like you to take up even gaming with a discrete GPU...since the 5800k seems powerful enough to put as a dedicated CPU in a gaming machine. hope that made sense

americanbrian

Distinguished
I have to call out the review on choice of RAM as well. 1866 does not incur a significant price premium and would show the "TRUE" performance available to adopters of the AMD solution.

It seems unfair that you would make this choice to bias the results to favor intel. When you tested the first i-series chips with triple channel memory you enabled that feature (correctly) as it is a feature of the hardware you are testing.

Here there is a feature of the AMD hardware you have chosen to ignore. Not cool...

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
i'm not impressed by this performance in a desktop machine although these trinities can be good for a laptop. AMD needs more steps forward to make these reasonable for desktop user, a couple of generations more

Status
Not open for further replies.