[SOLVED] Gaming at 64 k resolution is now possible!

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
So I found a way to game at 64 k resution but I am not sure if this works.
So the way to do this is to first get 8 8k displays(the same one) and put it together so It will look like one huge display, so after that use a pc with two rtx quadro rtx 5000 sli and use each rtx quadro 5000 for 4 monitors because that is maximum limit.
So finally you will be connecting two rtx quadro rtx 5000 to 8 8k display's so now the last and most important thing to do now is to combine all this display's so now you can go to nvdia control panel and use nvdia's mosaic technology to use the 8 8k display's as a single monitor.(note-instead of nvdia quadro rtx 5000 and mosaic you can use rtx 3090 sli with nvdia surround if it works)

DSzymborski

Titan
So I found a way to game at 64 k resution but I am not sure if this works.
So the way to do this is to first get 8 8k displays(the same one)

I think a good way to start would be to learn how to calculate the area of a square first...

(A hint: after you spend $32,000 on eight 8K monitors, you'll find that you have to spend nearly another quarter-million dollars to get to 64K resolution)

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
I think a good way to start would be to learn how to calculate the area of a square first...

(A hint: after you spend $32,000 on eight 8K monitors, you'll find that you have to spend nearly another quarter-million dollars to get to 64K resolution)
Hey I found out that is not possible because nvdia surround supports only 5 displays at maximum and rtx 3090 doesn't support mosaic.
So my question is can I sue 4 8k monitors and two rtx 3090's?
I would use nvdia surround now?
Will this possible and this will won't be too expensive

DSzymborski

Titan
Hey I found out that is not possible because nvdia surround supports only 5 displays at maximum and rtx 3090 doesn't support mosaic.
So my question is can I sue 4 8k monitors and two rtx 3090's?
I would use nvdia surround now?
Will this possible and this will won't be too expensive

You can, but it would be awful. 3090s generally average under 40 fps at 8K. You'd basically need 3090s to scale perfectly and four of them to have a bad 16K experience. And that's assuming you don't run into other problems with software that's not designed to scale up to anywhere near that resolution. Multi-GPU solutions actually scale poorly.

The point is, it's not like any of this is a particularly novel idea. Anyone can put together the idea "let's have more monitors and GPUs!" It's just that it's completely impractical. It's basically an experiment for someone with either way too much money or someone who can monetize it into a YouTube video that gets two million hits. It's not something somebody actually should want to do in 2021.

Last edited:

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
You can, but it would be awful. 3090s generally average under 40 fps at 8K. You'd basically need 3090s to scale perfectly and four of them to have a bad 16K experience. And that's assuming you don't run into other problems with software that's not designed to scale up to anywhere near that resolution. Multi-GPU solutions actually scale poorly.

The point is, it's not like any of this is a particularly novel idea. Anyone can put together the idea "let's have more monitors and GPUs!" It's just that it's completely impractical. It's basically an experiment for someone with either way too much money or someone who can monetize it into a YouTube video that gets two million hits. It's not something somebody actually should want to do in 2021.
Hey I have one doubt so if I connect one rtx 3090's to two monitors it will only be 16k because even though the display's combine to 32 k the gpu will only support 16k because there are only two rtx 3090's rightz?

DSzymborski

Titan
Hey I have one doubt so if I connect one rtx 3090's to two monitors it will only be 16k because even though the display's combine to 32 k the gpu will only support 16k because there are only two rtx 3090's rightz?

Again, this is not how any of this works.

16K is not two 8K monitors. 32K is not two 16K monitors.

And GPUs don't scale well.

And even if they did, you don't have enough 3090s to make it playable.

And software itself is going to largely be horribly scaled at these resolutions.

This is all an awful idea.

why is 16k not two 8k monitors?is it 8 8k monitors?

4x4k = 8k
R.10a9a27a8a4647facb43ae43e581c24e

DSzymborski

Titan
Well linus did this long back but he used 16 4k monitors because 8k didn't exist at that time

Then you ought to remember the 3 FPS Linus got on Tomb Raider and the horrifyingly small UI issues. Technology has improved since then, but multi-GPU driver support for games, both in the software and drivers, has gotten much worse. Linus didn't do it because it was practical but because it was fun and he could generate income from the videos.

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
Then you ought to remember the 3 FPS Linus got on Tomb Raider and the horrifyingly small UI issues. Technology has improved since then, but multi-GPU driver support for games, both in the software and drivers, has gotten much worse. Linus didn't do it because it was practical but because it was fun and he could generate income from the videos.
so yuo are saying when I "combine" two rtx 3090's and use it with 4 8k monitors I wll get less fps and lot of issues?

DSzymborski

Titan
so yuo are saying when I "combine" two rtx 3090's and use it with 4 8k monitors I wll get less fps and lot of issues?

Yes, it'll be a mediocre experience at best. Spending more than $20,000 on monitors and GPUs to play CoD at 20 fps at an extremely high resolution isn't my cup of tea. Especially when UIs on so much software will just completely break.

Again, you're basically asking a 2026 question in 2021.

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
Yes, it'll be a mediocre experience at best. Spending more than $20,000 on monitors and GPUs to play CoD at 20 fps at an extremely high resolution isn't my cup of tea. Especially when UIs on so much software will just completely break.

Again, you're basically asking a 2026 question in 2021.
I have a doubt, so you can only combine the same gpu's right? Like two rtx 3090's?
you can't combine two different gpu's right?
and btw there is a 16k resolution tv sony released which costs a lot.