Gaming Build guide

Usman Anwar

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2014
I m saving money for my next build which will cost around 1000$, if i include a gpu also.
I m confused about the GPU component, given the release of new RTX series gpus. Presently, i have the gtx 970.
What do you suggest ?
Shall i buy the rest of the components & wait for the gpu or shall I wait until i have enough money for the gpu also ?
Keep in view that that the system without gpu cost around 600$

Solution
If this is for gaming, then the RTX is not worth the extra money in that budget ballpark. Go with the 1000 series instead. You wont be missing much on 1080p.
Will you need a Windows licence?
Is this a build from scratch, or an upgrade to an existing system? If an upgrade we may be able to use the existing Windows licence and some parts.

If you're gaming ( what else ;) ) the GTX970 is still a useful card for HD resolution, and with the GPU market so messed up ATM I'd advise you aim at the base system first and then save for a GPU upgrade in the future.

Hard as this may be to swallow, but you'll get longer life out of the system if you drop the entire $1,000 on it and keep the current GPU and upgrade it later rather than lowering the specs to stay within a $600 budget and limiting the future expansion options. Your call, we'll advise either way.

Usman Anwar

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2014
I m upgrading from scratch. I want to buy this system for at least 1440p gaming, 2k would be nice. Furthermore, i heard that Intel is planning on releasing the 9th gen CPUs next year. Should i wait for these CPUs or the 8 gen will be enough ?

1440p is 2k... https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/691408-2k-does-not-mean-2560%C3%971440/

Intel might be launching some new processor this year, but that is not yet verified... https://wccftech.com/intel-9th-gen-coffee-lake-s-cpu-z390-platform-launch-1st-october/
But the waiting game is never ending as technology keeps on evolving, and for that budget range you will not be getting any earth shattering jump.