[SOLVED] Gaming Build Question

xalamandros

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2012
I'd be most grateful for some expert advice. I am making a gaming build, and I want to go all out, as it's likely the last computer I will build. Here is what I have in mind for the core components (with which I plan to run an RTX 3090 once prices drop):

Gigabyte Z590 AORUS ULTRA motherboard (LGA 1200)

Intel Core i9-11900K Rocket Lake 8-Core 3.5 GHz

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800)
Model F4-3600C18D-64GTZR

or

G.SKILL Trident Z Neo Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800)
Model F4-3600C16D-64GTZN

or

CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
Model CMW64GX4M2E3200C16

Am I making any bad choices here? (I know I don't need the i9 just for gaming, but I want it for other process-intensive video work I also do; also, I used to build with Asus motherboards, but I understand that they now push software on you, and I just don't want to deal with that). Is there one compenent here that would be a "weak link" in the chain, for which I should consider something else? Any recommendation as to which memory would be the best choice? The qaualified vendor list for the motherboard (whcih I got straight from Gigabyte's support site) doesn't list a single memory combination higher than 32GB, even though the specs on the board indicate it can accommodate up to 128GB. Would I be safe with one of the G.Skill combos above?

I would really appreciate any advice someone knowledgeable could give me. Thank you very much!

Xal

Solution
I'd go with the Ryzen 5900X instead of the Intel. Better overall performance for the same money and all at a lower power consumption. Pair that with either the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra or Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming Wi-Fi.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yep, highest I think I would bother with on the 11th gen is the 11700k before jumping ship to AMD.

I basically was lazy and didn't want to re-build my entire water cooling loop, so grabbed an i9-10900F. i9-10850K might be more suitable if the extra two cores will help your workload (in which case the 5900X is the chip to get again)

Reactions: alexbirdie

xalamandros

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2012
Thank you for responding! I appreciate the AMD-related suggestions, but (and I should have mentioned this) I am a die hard Intel fan and too much of an old dog to depart from my years of comfort with Intel. If you could be so kind as to look past my stubbornness in this regard, could you still offer me advice about my configuration? Thanks!

xalamandros

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2012
Thanks everyone for the advice. You've sucessfully driven me to reconfigure my mind, as I am now looking into educating myself about the AMD side of this world. Ugh, the fear of change!

alexbirdie

Respectable
I am a die hard Intel fan and too much of an old dog to depart from my years of comfort with Intel
I did have Intel for many years and was very satisfied with it( intel E8600, then 3770k, which is still working as backup PC).

But 1 1/2 years ago I was at the same point like you, and I decided for AMD.

And until today I never regret my decision.

If I were in this situation today, I again would decide for AMD( but 5950x and ASUS crosshair dark hero).