[SOLVED] Gaming Build Tweaking/Advice

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Hi, I recently got some great advice from you guys for a new gaming build. (special thanks to jeremyj_83, cryoburner, and jimthenagual). It's taken me a little longer to pull the trigger than I expected, but I'm close and wanted to see if the build needed any last minute tweaking.

One thing that's changed since I last posted is where I'll be putting the case. Ideally, I'd like to place it inside a sort of unusually thick wall that divides two room or put it in the top cubby hole of the wall unit I built, just below the HDTV. (Wall is thick because it was built to hide an Iron I-beam in the basement). The enclosed area where the PC will live is about 3' x 5' x 16", or about 20 sq feet of space. On one side is mounted a 60" HDTV which also will have some back venting into this enclosure. Below the TV are cubby holes for components, one of which currently holds a ATX build horizontally oriented. My plan is to relocate this current PC case to inside the wall compartment and for my NEW build I'll either put that build inside the enclosure too, or put it into the top cubby. The ceiling of this top cubby has many holes drilled in to allow it to vent into the enclosed area. On the back side of the wall there is an access door to the compartment. On this access door is another 12" x 6" opening which is disguised as a register vent. I hope some of that made sense. Here's an image of the wall unit followed by another image of where the faux front opens showing a computer desk area. (I just ran extension cording so the sitting area has power on/off and a USB hub).

Wall Unit
wallunit%201.jpg

PC area
wallunit%204.jpg

TV specs:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16889007194

If you ask me, I'll try to get a picture of the actual enclosure and other side of the wall.

Long story short. I had a PC case inside the wall and one in the cubby hole out front. The one inside the wall died (old age) and so I'm moving the one in the cubby inside the compartment to use for the one that died then I'm going to build a new PC. The new PC can either live in the top cubby under the TV or it could ALSO be placed inside the compartment. Sorry for being a bit redundant.

Anyway, the point is, this new build might have some heating issues at least during taxing gaming.

Here's the build for PC that's currently IN the wall unit, but which I will soon put INSIDE the wall unit. This is a 2015 build. I only list it to give you a sense of the heat it might kick out.
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/pshopper/saved/#view=mWCRsY

Now, for my NEW build, this is what I'm working with (jeremyj_83 credit):
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/pshopper/saved/#view=G8GJbv

This ATX AMD build is around $1,640 but Parts Picker doesn't currently show the cost of the fractal case which is currently out of stock.

So, first, it's been a couple weeks so if there's any better deals on hardware I can swap out for a little better deal, please let me know. I have a hard time keeping up with making sure everything is compatible so I get nervous swapping out components. I debated going with the Ryzen 7 2700 3.2, but I think the 2600x might be a better fit. I'm open to any suggestions, but in a previous thread the good people at the forums here helped me to rule out Intel.

I don't overclock and I don't upgrade.

Typically I build a new PC with quality components every 5 to 6 years the keep the older one for LAN play or to pass down to a family member. I'm 50 years old and have a couple teenagers who I like to LAN play with in my home. Anyway, I think the 2600 X will be better for me because I don't plan to overclock it beyond the factory OC settings. On the other hand, being an old gamer, I'm now established, and it's not a big issue for me to throw another hundred bucks or so at this build if someone can talk me into it.

You can see in the listed build that I've got several case fans. I'm a little worried about the noise. I might switch those out for Notura or Be Quiet! or maybe use fewer fans. That's one of the big questions I'm struggling with. Maybe if it's inside the wall it will be hotter, but also I won't hear the noise as much?? That said, I guess the best way to mount this new PC for cooling will be in that cubby hole just under the TV which means I'll need a case that's good with a horizontal orientation but I'd like to hear from the forum. I do like the Fractals, but maybe there's something better suited? (and the Define S is out of stock ATM anyway).

So, if you please, advise on this build, how to cool it, and where to put it! I'm a little nervous about using any kind of water cooling and my intention for that 2600X is to just use the stock fan.

These forums have been good to me and your advice is much respected and appreciated! While I am no stranger to building PCs, I don't keep up with the latest tech.

Thanks if you can help!

EDIT: Cubby hole (shown in image just below the TV) has these dimensions:
19"W, 20"deep, 6" tall. There are holes above it (going into the enclosed wall) and there are also holes on the shelf it rests on. Well, I should say I plan to drill holes in the shelf on which it sits but I haven't done it yet.

Last edited:
Solution
That looks good. SATA cables should come with the motherboard, however, fan splitters won't. That is something you would have to buy on your own, or have them run at full speed with molex adapters. Overall this should be a screaming system when all is said and done.

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013

I'm having trouble deciding the PSU orientation on this build and the comments I'm getting so far don't seem well informed..... Maybe I"ll get a straight answer soon, but why miss a chance to bother you about it?