Gaming build upgrade: questions and suggestions

Zinrokh

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
I"m not particularly knowledgeable with PC specifics and would like some input and advice, please.

Currently I have a 4-5 year old system, (a build that was copied from an old forum post on this site), it has served me faithfully through the years but I think it may be time to upgrade to allow some higher/ultra settings on some newer games specifically Fallout 4 and Hitman.

My current build is:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU: i5-2500k @ 3.30GHz
RAM; 16G (4x4G) DDR3 1600
GPU: MSI Nvidea GeForce GTX 570
PSU: 750w
I run Windows 10 off an 120g SSD.
And have a second 500g SSD for programs

My original plan was upgrade to:
GPU: MSI GTX 980 4G
CPU: i7-4790K 4.00GHz

while maintaining the rest of the system, but I've been told that I may need to replace the motherboard for the new CPU to work, in which case I was looking at on of the MSI gaming motherboards based purely on the assumption that they would work well with MSI GPUs which I favor.

Honestly I have little-to-no idea on compatibility issues, also I'm worried that I may cause and overlook a bottleneck in performance (which someone here might easily point out), and finally I worry that I might be going way over the top buying a component where a cheaper alternative may be enough.

Cost is complicated as i'm living in Japan and things tend to be more expensive but i'm aiming to spend under $1000 to future proof the system for the next 5 years. Also i'm not particularly confident with OC as I haven't got Easytune to work since upgrading to windows 10.

Any suggestions and insights would be appreciated and i'll provide any other details that I may have left out on request.

Thank you

Alex Dorades

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015
You are right. Go for a i7 4790K which is the best CPU, even better than a 5th gen 1150 Socket, because of its high Single core performance for gaming at mid price. A Z97 motherboard especialy MSI or ASUS and a MSI 970, 980 or 980Ti. ;)